Good Dog! I think...

Kes is so pretty and what a good girl retreiving an egg. She looks very healthy for her age, I wish you many more years with her. So sorry about Cody.
Our Dobes have been so good with the chickens, I introduced them to the baby chicks from the first day and remind them often that the girls are " mom's chickens". Our boy, Kaiser, chases them off the porch and the youngster, Kory, likes to stir them up but everyone is getting along fine. The chickens are free range during the day and the Dobes go out often, I like to keep an eye on everyone but am not outside all the time. I did set up a yard where the chickens can go to get away from the dogs - just an enclosed area with a small fence with holes big enough for the girls but too small for the Dobes. I think the chickens accept the Dobes as part of the family and don't get upset if they have to get out of the way. The girls like my two older female Dobes and walk around with them all the time. Yes, Dobes do get along with other animals, they were bred to be personal watchdogs, and mine don't have much prey drive.

Ga Chicken Mom, having raised Dobes as a kid, I can see how they could be good with chickens. I haven't tried Kes around the girls when they're loose, but she does go into the brooder room (brooder top closed!) and look at the little chickies when I allow it. She's a complete doll and yes, Deb, she is a Daddy's girl! She sleeps on a daybed in the office/guestroom, but every night, ends up on our bed sometime. And if there's a thunderstorm, she ends up under my pillow, shaking all night-Magic Fingers without the quarter!

She is just beautiful and yes Labs have very soft mouths as others here have said. My good Old Hunter never went after my chickens and I got them when he was already older. He also got an egg one time and when I asked him to come as I saw he had something he laid it at my feet like it came right out of the chicken. I miss him so much.

Back
Top Bottom