Good Pets???

I don't think it's good to generalize behaviors when it comes to aggression based on a single experience. The adult hand raised emus I've been in contact with were quite friendly, even to me as a stranger. I think it's good to share and learn from others' experiences but not generalize emu behaviors as a whole.

I don't think it's good to generalize behaviors when it comes to aggression based on a single experience. The adult hand raised emus I've been in contact with were quite friendly, even to me as a stranger. I think it's good to share and learn from others' experiences but not generalize emu behaviors as a whole.

And it's also not a good idea to assume that all emus will grow up and be happy snuggle bugs either... it's better to be cautious than to make assumptions and end up with a tragedy on your hands... since you haven't had adult emus or other ratites around you 24 / 7 I would say that Casuarius has a bit better idea how they can act any given day that you do... and I really wouldn't call his / her experience a "single experience" either...

having both adult and juvi emus I can say that yes, their personalities do differ.. but they can also be unpredictable beasties.. one that I wouldn't trust around small children.. and yes.. all of mine are hand raised from eggs that I personally hatched

I'm glad you posted this.. i put up a warning a few pages back .. but yours is much better than mine!..
thumbsup.gif

Well to make myself clear, Im not at all telling anyone not to buy or own a Ratite, but everyone needs to understand the risks, and care requirements for them. They are in fact wild animals, and by no means domesticated like chickens. Many people have asked me about getting them as pets, and when I ask what their intentions with them are, they tell me they want them for their kids. So I immediately tell them they are interested in the wrong animals then, these are not good for children at all. They also need large open enclosures, not only do they not like confinement, but they can develop life threatening leg issues while growing if they do not have enough room to have constant exercise in order to strengthen the tendons in their legs. But if you know the risks, and requirements, and you have a large enclosure for them, and you still want them, then by all means have at it. I love Ratites, and they are a part of my life.

Sorry guys.. but it needs to be said from time to time

I hate to burst anyone's bubble.. but I hate to lump emu and other ratites in as "pets" since this fuels the people who are looking for the next "cool" fad pet

Bottom line is they are livestock. Livestock which needs special fencing and care. they are not a puppy or a kitten. They do get big and all are potentially dangerous (ripping out earrings to raking with sharp claws, kicking like a mule to chasing and causing serious injury).

So ownership of any of the ratites should not be taken lightly. If one escapes it's a bit different than a chicken escaping the henhouse. When your cute lil "pet" escapes it can cause all sorts of havoc to your neighbors, their pets as well as passing motorists. Not to mention that escaped ratites have been known to travel large distances which means that havoc would be more widespread.

Most vets have no idea as to how to treat an emu. Not to mention they are prohibited everywhere where livestock is prohibited.
calling them "good pets" fuels the misconception that they can be kept by anyone or are good for all ages.
Plus if something happens and it dies.. it's a bit harder to flush than a goldfish.

Sure emu hugs are great... but there is a lot more to keeping a ratite than their silly antics and goofy smiles. Which basically means that ratite ownership is not something to be taken lightly and certainly shouldn't be the next new 'fad"

Well to make myself clear, Im not at all telling anyone not to buy or own a Ratite, but everyone needs to understand the risks, and care requirements for them. They are in fact wild animals, and by no means domesticated like chickens. Many people have asked me about getting them as pets, and when I ask what their intentions with them are, they tell me they want them for their kids. So I immediately tell them they are interested in the wrong animals then, these are not good for children at all. They also need large open enclosures, not only do they not like confinement, but they can develop life threatening leg issues while growing if they do not have enough room to have constant exercise in order to strengthen the tendons in their legs. But if you know the risks, and requirements, and you have a large enclosure for them, and you still want them, then by all means have at it. I love Ratites, and they are a part of my life.

oh I agree.. as I said.. ratite ownership is not something to be taken lightly..

I think most people do forget that they are still "wild animals" even if they are hand raised... they were never "domesticated" like the usual pets.. heck.. if it wasn't for the meat industry, ratites would be considered "exotic" by the USDA instead of "livestock"

I guess it all depends on one's definition of a pet. When it comes to pets, I have probably had more different types of pets than 99% of the human population. As a kid, I had 23 aquariums operating at the same time, raised all kinds of native and exotic fish, including sharks, had turtles, tortoises, lizards from skinks to monitors and tegus, tarantulas, raccoons, oppossoms, snakes from green to pythons, birds from finches to emus. I have always been an animal nut.

If your definition of a pet is cute and cuddly and responds to commands, then an emu will probably not fit your definition. A Labrador Retrever is a much better at this. Now before some of the newbies that are raising their first emus get excited, let me explain. Emu chicks are among the cutest creatures on earth. When hatched in an incubator, they will imprint to the person that raises them. For the first two years, they can make great companion animals. Even after two years of age, some emus, especially males, can remain quite tame. However, once they reach sexual maturity, their demeanor will (usually) change when nature comes calling. I have one particular male that appears to think as much of me as I do of him (see picture below). He has never challenged or threatened me in any way. He was raised with a sister from the same hatching and another un-related female. The first year that he became sexually mature, he turned on his sister and beat her to a bloody pulp. Until that day, he had never shown any aggression towards another bird or person. He was just being an emu, and once again, emus are not Labrador Retrievers. They are physically capable of doing great damage, but as a rule are not aggressive (but can be threatening) to a person.

Emus are domestiated wild animals and that should always be kept in mind. I love my birds as much as anybody and I spend hours every day that I can with them. All of the birds that I have raised are tame and will eat out of my hand and most like to have their neck stroked. So will a cow.

Last edited:
I guess it all depends on one's definition of a pet. When it comes to pets, I have probably had more different types of pets than 99% of the human population. As a kid, I had 23 aquariums operating at the same time, raised all kinds of native and exotic fish, including sharks, had turtles, tortoises, lizards from skinks to monitors and tegus, tarantulas, raccoons, oppossoms, snakes from green to pythons, birds from finches to emus. I have always been an animal nut.

If your definition of a pet is cute and cuddly and responds to commands, then an emu will probably not fit your definition. A Labrador Retrever is a much better at this. Now before some of the newbies that are raising their first emus get excited, let me explain. Emu chicks are among the cutest creatures on earth. When hatched in an incubator, they will imprint to the person that raises them. For the first two years, they can make great companion animals. Even after two years of age, some emus, especially males, can remain quite tame. However, once they reach sexual maturity, their demeanor will (usually) change when nature comes calling. I have one particular male that appears to think as much of me as I do of him (see picture below). He has never challenged or threatened me in any way. He was raised with a sister from the same hatching and another un-related female. The first year that he became sexually mature, he turned on his sister and beat her to a bloody pulp. Until that day, he had never shown any aggression towards another bird or person. He was just being an emu, and once again, emus are not Labrador Retrievers. They are physically capable of doing great damage, but as a rule are not aggressive (but can be threatening) to a person.

Emus are domestiated wild animals and that should always be kept in mind. I love my birds as much as anybody and I spend hours every day that I can with them. All of the birds that I have raised are tame and will eat out of my hand and most like to have their neck stroked. So will a cow.

I just need to point out something.. Emus are TAMED wild animals.. not domesticated...
"Domestication (from Latin domesticus) is the process whereby a population of living organisms is changed at the genetic level, through generations of selective breeding, to accentuate traits that ultimately benefit humans. A usual by-product of domestication is the creation of a dependency in the domesticated organisms, so that they lose their ability to live in the wild.[1]It differs from taming in that a change in the phenotypical expression and genotype of the animal occurs, whereas taming is simply the process by which animals become accustomed to human presence. "

I've had as many critters as "pets" as you.. lol.. if not more .. so I can agree with how you view a pet.. I've also worked closely with wild animals.. so to me there is a big difference in a "pet" and a "tamed" wild animal.. most people see "pet" and their brains jumps to think of their cute little puppy or kitten.. and as you stated.. these guys are not a labrador..

A lot of people also look at ratites as "cool" and think that they can treat them like Paris Hilton treats her chihuahua.. as an accessory to their home (reminds me of the guy who insisted to me that emus would be great in his apartment).. or something to show off to their friends..
roll.png

I just need to point out something.. Emus are TAMED wild animals.. not domesticated...
"Domestication (from Latin domesticus) is the process whereby a population of living organisms is changed at the genetic level, through generations of selective breeding, to accentuate traits that ultimately benefit humans. A usual by-product of domestication is the creation of a dependency in the domesticated organisms, so that they lose their ability to live in the wild.[1]It differs from taming in that a change in the phenotypical expression and genotype of the animal occurs, whereas taming is simply the process by which animals become accustomed to human presence. "

I've had as many critters as "pets" as you.. lol.. if not more .. so I can agree with how you view a pet.. I've also worked closely with wild animals.. so to me there is a big difference in a "pet" and a "tamed" wild animal.. most people see "pet" and their brains jumps to think of their cute little puppy or kitten.. and as you stated.. these guys are not a labrador..

A lot of people also look at ratites as "cool" and think that they can treat them like Paris Hilton treats her chihuahua.. as an accessory to their home (reminds me of the guy who insisted to me that emus would be great in his apartment).. or something to show off to their friends..
roll.png
sorry, I did not have my dictionary beside me when I typed my post...

Anything......as long as it's on other side of 6ft fence lol
Emus like to be on their own, specially breeding pairs. unless you want problems and many other Pet Animals could get hurt some time or another.
Who can run as fast as an Emu?? that's when the hurt can start. injury follows.Just once a day is too many times.
But...they do like to watch other Animals in nearby fields.
Calla

Back
Top Bottom