Good rooster

DaveK88

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
Killingly Ct.
Yesterday I was in my shop making a new door for my chicken coop. my chickens were out free ranging when I heard my rooster making all kinds of noise. I really didn't think too much about it because he is very noisy. I stuck my head outside the shop door and saw a huge red tailed hawk flying back into the trees about 15 ft off the ground. I couldn't see any of the 3 hens. I started walking around the yard trying to find them. Fred (my rooster) was huddled against the corner of the barn and the fence behind some boards I have leaning against the barn. I walked back toward the shop and found 2 of the hens had run into the shop and were huddled together under my work bench. I still couldn't find the last hen and started the think maybe the hawk had gotten her. I walked through the woods a bit looking for any signs of her but didn't find anything. I walked back up to the barn to check on Fred and I noticed some red poking out behind him. He had covered her with his body to protect her from the hawk. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. they stayed that way for about half an hour before they came back out. He is definitely a good rooster.

Back
Top Bottom