good shrub/tree for chicken run?

glad i could help! i've been reading up on a whole lot of ways to enrich chickens lives, and its been very helpfull
big_smile.png

are there any specific fruit or nut trees? (soft or small nut, want my chickens to be able to eat them!) under 5-7 feet? able to live on the wet west coast(temperate rainforest)?

My hens like to chill under the ornamental grasses and rose of sharon. In their new area there is a wooded area,and I have spaced out some ornamental grasses for them to run and hide under during hawk attacks

i already thought of that one! bought a bunch of fast growing ornamental grasses, cause' they reminded me of the quail scene in Bambi! of couse that one didn't end well.....
big_smile.png

anyways, anybody know any fruit or nut trees suitable?

Quote:
Ok, I am dumb. What kind of ornamental grass? Do the chickens eat it? I thought they will kill off any grass in a run?
I am also interested in the fruit/nut tree.

I am in Mid-State NY.

Chickens have free roam and the only tree I've ever seem them roosting in/on is our 50 foot droopy western red cedar tree near the house. They prefer hanging out under the truck...and had one silkie who just loved to roost inside the front bumper.
roll.png

If you dont mind taking on a little fun gardening project, you could do an espalier pear tree. You train the branches to grow in one plane only. They look really cool and the branches would be easy to roost in. You can buy them already trained as well, but they might be a little taller than you want if you buy them. If you do it yourself, you can keep them nice and low.

i think that might be too much work....i'm not that garden handy
smile.png
i'm thinking about something that i can just let grow.

Back
Top Bottom