drummondfarm

Hatching
Jul 1, 2022
Hello, I have 3 white Chinese goslings about 9weeks old. They have been pampered inside most of the time only going outside in the afternoon thru bedtime in a pen my husband built. As you can imagine bringing them inside in a tub has now become near impossible and stinky and messy. We are in Midwest and the heat has ramped up. I had one of the girls get overcome with heatstroke one day and barely pulled her through. Im sure that is the temperature transition from A/C to outside heat. We do have a larger chicken coop with chickens and a small grassless run attached. Our chickens can jump the fence to free range and can obviously get back in as well to escape predators.
My question kind of seems logical but I really dont know if I should transition the goslings to the chicken coop and have the persons who let them out in morning just let the geese completely out of the run/coop so they can free range all day? I have 2 main fears... how do they learn to avoid predators? I mean how do they learn to find hiding places or safe places? They seem to literally follow me everywhere and whatever I do they repeat and nothing else. I have them free ranging in front yard so I can see them and they dont move from the areas I have walked with them. Second fear is the temps in the chicken coop. They dont always get let out early sometimes its lunch time. Are geese hotter than chickens? Will they just accommodate? We do have a jenky ceiling fan in the chicken coop and there are screened windows open. Will the geese return to the coop area at night?
So many questions! lol We have had ducks chickens and we even raised 2 orphaned Canada goose who wore diapers when in the house. lol And I had a singular Emden goose that was always in chicken coop from very young size. I didnt have to raise him like im doing with these. Thanks all in advance!

My main question would be what's their water access like in the chicken coop? They're alot more water dependant than chickens for starters as I'm sure you already know

My main question would be what's their water access like in the chicken coop? They're alot more water dependant than chickens for starters as I'm sure you already know
Yes sure! At the moment they have 2 seperate "water heater" pans that are large enough for them to bath. They are about 2 inches maybe 3" deep. We have 18acres with pond and 2 streams they will have access to if they choose but since they are essentially babies they are staying close to mama (me). They watch me through the windows and are following me. I hope they eventually leave the patio area! Lol

Yes sure! At the moment they have 2 seperate "water heater" pans that are large enough for them to bath. They are about 2 inches maybe 3" deep. We have 18acres with pond and 2 streams they will have access to if they choose but since they are essentially babies they are staying close to mama (me). They watch me through the windows and are following me. I hope they eventually leave the patio area! Lol
I personally think they're definitely old enough to be outside, I put mine outside in summer from 3 weeks old in a netted run and then unnetted from 8 weeks on, however that being said I have the complete opposite climate issue than you, even though it's June nearly July it's rare for us to be over 15c (I think that's 60f?) Of a day and we have near constant downpour of rain all summer. For you other issues too I think ideally I wouldn't close them in at night because geese don't really go to bed the same way as chickens but of course that is entirely dependent on your predator pressure. Here we have foxes which don't bother the geese and we have Badgers, I have lost two goslings in the past to Badgers I won't lie and knowing that your in America I'm assuming you have much bigger predators than me. I don't think theres an easy answer to this, if they're closed in the coop for the night is their a water source in there? Just drinking water to maybe cool them?, Would perhaps an automatic coop hatch be an option for you? As for learning to avoid predators, geese are mostly good at that because they're just naturally anxious birds, they tend in my experience to be good at hiding and running away. What ever you do good luck, because I know the pain of having baby birds inside your house too long stinking everything up
IMG-20220701-WA0008.jpeg

I personally think they're definitely old enough to be outside, I put mine outside in summer from 3 weeks old in a netted run and then unnetted from 8 weeks on, however that being said I have the complete opposite climate issue than you, even though it's June nearly July it's rare for us to be over 15c (I think that's 60f?) Of a day and we have near constant downpour of rain all summer. For you other issues too I think ideally I wouldn't close them in at night because geese don't really go to bed the same way as chickens but of course that is entirely dependent on your predator pressure. Here we have foxes which don't bother the geese and we have Badgers, I have lost two goslings in the past to Badgers I won't lie and knowing that your in America I'm assuming you have much bigger predators than me. I don't think theres an easy answer to this, if they're closed in the coop for the night is their a water source in there? Just drinking water to maybe cool them?, Would perhaps an automatic coop hatch be an option for you? As for learning to avoid predators, geese are mostly good at that because they're just naturally anxious birds, they tend in my experience to be good at hiding and running away. What ever you do good luck, because I know the pain of having baby birds inside your house too long stinking everything up View attachment 3171098
beautiful babies! I think im most worried about my heart because I am just in love with these babies. They really do return the love too. Just so hard to let them "spread their wings" Oh and we have been hearing of people seeing badgers again in our area. I have seen one as a child but not dealt with them at all so I need to read up on their quirks. Thanks for the support!

Geese don’t really have the ability to outrun or hide from predators. The only way to ensure their protection is to ensure predators can’t get access to them. From hawks they’re fine, but they’re vulnerable to large predators, and bolder smaller ones like foxes and raccoons.

Geese need a shelter that will shade them from the sun. They have very thick down unlike chickens, this insulates them well in cold weather and can actually insulate them from hot weather, to an extent. If that down gets too hot, then there becomes an issue.

A member some years back had a mink kill a brooding goose. I could never let my geese ducks or chickens out with out fencing. Mine do free range but I feel fencing does protect them much more than not having any. And keeps them close to home.

I personally think they're definitely old enough to be outside, I put mine outside in summer from 3 weeks old in a netted run and then unnetted from 8 weeks on, however that being said I have the complete opposite climate issue than you, even though it's June nearly July it's rare for us to be over 15c (I think that's 60f?) Of a day and we have near constant downpour of rain all summer. For you other issues too I think ideally I wouldn't close them in at night because geese don't really go to bed the same way as chickens but of course that is entirely dependent on your predator pressure. Here we have foxes which don't bother the geese and we have Badgers, I have lost two goslings in the past to Badgers I won't lie and knowing that your in America I'm assuming you have much bigger predators than me. I don't think theres an easy answer to this, if they're closed in the coop for the night is their a water source in there? Just drinking water to maybe cool them?, Would perhaps an automatic coop hatch be an option for you? As for learning to avoid predators, geese are mostly good at that because they're just naturally anxious birds, they tend in my experience to be good at hiding and running away. What ever you do good luck, because I know the pain of having baby birds inside your house too long stinking everything up View attachment 3171098

Mine are in a pen at night that I'll be moving out of the garage eventually. During the day they free range with some supervision.

Water is available 24/7. I sometimes bring a bucket in their pen as they like to dunk their heads. Otherwise they always have a drinker with some grit in the basin.

Attachments

• rnpen.JPG
    rnpen.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 7
  • pen.JPG
    pen.JPG
    471.7 KB · Views: 4
  • rangin.JPG
    rangin.JPG
    514.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Back