Goose and duck home

If they get along well it could be alright for the night, but if they don’t it won’t do, the ducks need to be able to escape the geese. I keep three geese to 1 6 x 10 foot cage at night, but they don’t get along well with the ducks so I have to keep the ducks in a different cage.

I agree on how they all get along. Once your runner girls start laying they will turn into flirts. Is there a way you can make a place in the enclosure that the geese dont fit into and the runner girls can have a little safety zone. 3 female geese have the ability to mate for life to a flock. But my experience with runners is they flirt hard to get bred and flirt hard. Came home today and lots of quacking (felt so bad thought oh know did I forget to feed them today?) Wasnt the issue had plenty of food. The 16 girls were chasing my 3 boys all over bouncing heads flirting to the Nth degree with the boys. We had quite laying for the hot months but I can guarantee you I will walk out to let them out tomorrow they will have been laying eggs again. So maybe just a little escape nest your geese cant fit in for your runners will help.

I have 8 ducks and 10 geese that share a night coop. Everyone uses the same door and my ducks have an escape route to a separate sleeping area in the coop. The current escape route is just a gap between portable dog pen fencing and a wall that is too small for the geese to fit through. I've also built fences out of PVC pipes and 24" plastic poultry netting that worked but were not as maneuverable. A wall of back-to-back nest boxes will work -- if they are tall enough. My geese like to hop up on top of things.

You don't have a gander but your goose hens might go broody and they get very aggressive/protective of the nest. I had to add an extra no line of sight partition to stop broody goose from charging across the coop to stop anyone else from entering. Its also amazing the gaps a goose hen can squeeze through when she decides the duck nestbox looks far superior for laying than the goose sized ones.

Back
Top Bottom