GOOSE BREEDING THREAD - for breeding, incubating, hatching and rearing.

Thank you all. We've never had this happen before which is strange. Our chickens have free ranged pretty much all day every day for 3-4 years with no problems. We are pretty sure it was a coyote or stray. Our Pitbull, who is very good around the birds, came back after the goose had been dead a while and was covered in mud. We figure he had chased after whatever killed the bird.

Thank you all. We've never had this happen before which is strange. Our chickens have free ranged pretty much all day every day for 3-4 years with no problems. We are pretty sure it was a coyote or stray. Our Pitbull, who is very good around the birds, came back after the goose had been dead a while and was covered in mud. We figure he had chased after whatever killed the bird.
Phoenix, would a coyote or fox or some wild animal not have taken the bird? You said you found it dead, more like something a domestic dog would do?
I´d keep an eye on the pitbull if it were me......
Also, you say it was your biggest goose... a female, then? Or was it a gnader? As ganders are more lost to preds or dogs than the geese, as they try to protect their gals.

Last edited:
Phoenix, would a coyote or fox or some wild animal not have taken the bird?  You said you found it dead, more like something a domestic dog would do?
I´d keep an eye on the pitbull if it were me......
Also, you say it was your biggest goose... a female, then?  Or was it a gnader?  As ganders are more lost to preds or dogs than the geese, as they try to protect their gals.

Yes Thor, the bully, was my first guess since there were only three puncture wounds on the goose and he only has three canines. BUT he would have ran off with it the same as a wild animal would have. Thats why we thought maybe he inturupted whatever was attacking it and chased it away. I just don't know. Its sad but its just part of having birds free range.

We were pretty sure it was a hen.

Also, I have a question. We sexed the geese and we have 2 buff males and 3 buff females. The African is a female so we might get a gander for her. So do I need to get another gander for my third buff hen so they'll pair up? Or will I be able to hatch just fine with 3 girls and 2 boys?

Last edited:
Yes Thor, the bully, was my first guess since there were only three puncture wounds on the goose and he only has three canines. BUT he would have ran off with it the same as a wild animal would have. Thats why we thought maybe he inturupted whatever was attacking it and chased it away. I just don't know. Its sad but its just part of having birds free range.
Excuse me for chiming in but a domestic/pet dog of any breed that is fed regularly would not kill and "run off with" a goose. They would have "played" with the goose and once the goose stopped responding they would have become bored and just dropped the goose there and gone off to some other activity. Only a wild animal, feral and hungry dog, etc would actually take the body someplace to hide it for later. I do not know if your dog killed the goose or not but if he only has three canines and there are only three puncture wounds on the dead bird I would check to see if they align with the dog and begin keeping the dog away from the birds all the time.

Excuse me for chiming in but a domestic/pet dog of any breed that is fed regularly would not kill and "run off with" a goose. They would have "played" with the goose and once the goose stopped responding they would have become bored and just dropped the goose there and gone off to some other activity. Only a wild animal, feral and hungry dog, etc would actually take the body someplace to hide it for later. I do not know if your dog killed the goose or not but if he only has three canines and there are only three puncture wounds on the dead bird I would check to see if they align with the dog and begin keeping the dog away from the birds all the time.

They do align with his bite. But he has NEVER messed with the birds since we've had them. Chickens, ducks, turkeys or the geese. Which makes no sense why he'd kill one now. Maybe he just got bored that day and was excited when geese start flapping around and stretching their wings. Im gonna make sure to keep a close eye on him when he's out with them.

We were pretty sure it was a hen.

Also, I have a question. We sexed the geese and we have 2 buff males and 3 buff females. The African is a female so we might get a gander for her. So do I need to get another gander for my third buff hen so they'll pair up? Or will I be able to hatch just fine with 3 girls and 2 boys?
It does sound like it was your dog. Dogs are dogs. I don´t trust mine 100%. When I´m out there with them it´s ok, they know how to behave, but I don´t trust one of them, she´s a terror, and she´d get the rest going easy as pie. so, if I´m indoors, or if I go out, the dogs get shut in their run, then everyone´s safe. The other day I had 3 geese out with me while I was tidying up in a pen there, and I heard a goose flying, looked up, and there were three of my dogs running on behind her. I told them 'don´t you dare', and they went off and laid down.....doesn´t take much to get a dog excited, and they´re unpredictable, too. My geese have flown many times, with no response from the dogs...and they´ve flown since that day, but that particular day when I was out there, they were chasing behind that goose......they also get excited when there´s a gander squabble going on. so, don´t trust the dog.
As regards getting another gander, it´s not necessary. I find the geese like to have their own gander, but the ganders will spread themselves around ok. the only trouble I´ve come across is when the favourite goose has her goslings, and the second goose may even lose hers to the favourite one. I lost goslings this way. But if you keep an eye on them, you´ll be able to intervene if necessary. You may even find that one of the ganders takes the three females for himself! It´snot happened ever with mine, but others have had it happen.

a neighbor of mine had a coon dog for her pet dog. Dog got into my goose flock and killed several in a matter of minutes. She was not playing with them. She literally tore their breast and necks wide open. As angry as I was, could not blame the dog. That is what they were bred to do.

Okay thank you for the info with the ganders. And we are keeping the dog away from the geese from now on.
I have 7 dogs (had 8 but lost one to Cushings recently). Everything from a Pomeranian to an Anatolian with "the girls" (Boxer, Mastiff, Pit Bull mixes) in between. The dogs provide protection to my flocks simply as a deterrent to any critter that thinks about coming around. There is a serious fence between them and the flocks and they sit there while I work with my birds and stare. I don't know what they are thinking and I don't want to find out. When I put the birds to bed at night the dogs get to run in the range area and mark territory to further discourage night visitors. So my dogs and my birds get along fine together with a strong, high fence between them.

Good luck with yours.

Okay thank you for the info with the ganders. And we are keeping the dog away from the geese from now on.
Good idea.
I have 7 dogs (had 8 but lost one to Cushings recently). Everything from a Pomeranian to an Anatolian with "the girls" (Boxer, Mastiff, Pit Bull mixes) in between. The dogs provide protection to my flocks simply as a deterrent to any critter that thinks about coming around. There is a serious fence between them and the flocks and they sit there while I work with my birds and stare. I don't know what they are thinking and I don't want to find out. When I put the birds to bed at night the dogs get to run in the range area and mark territory to further discourage night visitors. So my dogs and my birds get along fine together with a strong, high fence between them.

Good luck with yours.
Sounds like you have it sussed there.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom