Goose egg rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know it was abandoned?

Must not have been abandon if you know it was just laid today.

👆

Doing nothing by not taking the egg to begin with would have been best case.
I feel I have to agree with what huntmaster said. It takes many days for a goose to lay their entire clutch of eggs. They don't sit on them consistently until they are ready to synchronize their development. The mother was likely off foraging, leaving her egg behind knowing it wasn't ready to be "set" yet.
If everyone picked up a random goose egg they found, it would drastically effect the outcome of the species. This is why they are protected.
I know you were trying to do the right thing so I don't blame you. just better to know for next time!

How do you know it was abandoned?

Must not have been abandon if you know it was just laid today.

👆

Doing nothing by not taking the egg to begin with would have been best case.
1. It was in the middle of the road when we found it
2. What mother lays an egg in the middle of the road? Also there were lots of nests with goose eggs in it.
3. I looked up the rules and regulations for Colorado and it said ‘you’re allowed to take birds if you helping to rehabilitate it or if abandoned or injured’
4.there were kids in the road and cars that were driving, so if we didn’t grab it, it could have been crushed.

I don’t know why this caused an argument. All these people were trying to do is help a CLEARLY abandoned goose egg. Either way it’s not like the species is gonna suddenly die off just because someone took one egg. They were just trying to do what’s best. :hmm

Abandoned or not, it was going to get run over if we didn’t help it. There was not nest near the egg, so we couldn’t put it back in one. Sorry if this wasn’t the best thing we could do. If we bring it back, the mother might not take it back. Thank you for the advice!❤️

2. What mother lays an egg in the middle of the road? Also there were lots of nests with goose eggs in it.
3. I looked up the rules and regulations for Colorado and it said ‘you’re allowed to take birds if you helping to rehabilitate it or if abandoned or injured’
4.there were kids in the road and cars that were driving, so if we didn’t grab it, it could have been crushed.
Interesting. Your intro post simply said you and your friend found it at a pond. The road seems like pertinent information.
While you may be able to help the birds themselves when in danger, in the state of Colorado you do need a permit to even handle a Canadian goose egg. You may be able to acquire this through the fish and wildlife department.

Someone or something may have picked it up and then left it or the egg rolled out of a nest.
https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/LivingwithWildlifeGoose.aspx
Canada geese are protected by federal and state laws. Non-lethal control activities (e.g., activities in which there is no direct contact with geese and that do not result in harm to geese, goslings, eggs, or nests) do not require federal or state permits (do check local ordinances), and most non-lethal activities can be conducted throughout the year (except using trained dogs for hazing—see below). Any activities that result in handling, damage, or destruction of geese, or their eggs or nests, require permits. The primary control activity conducted under available permits is egg and nest control of locally-breeding geese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom