Goose eggs hatching

gooseballs

Hatching
May 6, 2017

Hi everyone.

We found some abandoned goose eggs in our backyard on an island in our pond. Only 3 were still intact. The others were all broken open. We would see two or more geese around the yard, but they wouldn't go back to the nest. I gets quite cold here at night, so we bought a little giant incubator for the 3 eggs.

A week or later, a duck made a nest on the island. The geese and some ducks would still come and go from the pond.

Later, we noticed the duck was gone and it's eggs were scattered on the island. All of the were empty and had holes broken in each one. Would is be another duck or goose doing this?

This morning, we noticed the the three goose eggs starting to hatch. I've tried to read everything on here but still don't know what to do. Two have beaks poked out, but haven't done much from 9 am until 1 pm. Should we help them break the shells?

Should we turn down the temperature in the incubator?

Any help is appreciated.

Geese can take up to 72 hrs after external pipping to hatch. The temp should be about 98.5 and try to get your humidity above 70%. The egg in the front looks mal-positioned but I don't see any fluid. I'd just keep a close eye on them, which I'm sure you're doing anyway. Try to keep the incubator closed at all times now that they're pipped. They can get stuck if the humidity drops too much. What type of geese are these? If wild you'll need to contact your state for information on getting a permit to keep them. While you're waiting I can highly recommend reading Pete's excellent guide on incubating/hatching geese. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed
Make sure you post some pics when they hatch and congratulations on saving these little guys.

Last edited:

Hi. Thanks for the help. Here's a picture from today. Should I be concerned yet? There's not much difference from the two outer ones.

They chirp and move their beaks a lot.

They are wild geese. We don't plan on keeping them. We just wanted help the abondoned eggs. They probably would have froze left outside at night without the mother goose. We hope to get them strong enough so they can go outside and be free to do goose things! Maybe the geese that come around the back every couple days are they parents?

Thanks for the advice.

They chirp and move their beaks a lot.

They are wild geese. We don't plan on keeping them. We just wanted help the abondoned eggs. They probably would have froze left outside at night without the mother goose. We hope to get them strong enough so they can go outside and be free to do goose things! Maybe the geese that come around the back every couple days are they parents?

Thanks for the advice.
Those gosling if they hatch won't be able to go outside and do goose things at first. They will need to be cared for just like they are babies. They will need heat and feed and water and care. Once feathered in and your temps are warm then they could be outside to graze and get use to their new world but they will still need to be cared for till they meet the other geese and get acclimated.Even if the geese that come around every couple of days are their parents there is no guarantee they will accept them.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-and-caring-for-goslings
@gooseballs

Last edited:
Hi.

2 have broken out of the shell last night. They are doing well. The 3rd has been struggling. It finally got out today, but can't lift its head up or stand properly.

Hi.

2 have broken out of the shell last night. They are doing well. The 3rd has been struggling. It finally got out today, but can't lift its head up or stand properly.

Get it on a towel for traction and do you have any poultry vitamins or electrolytes? you can use a dropper and put tiny drops into the bill Poultry Nutri drench is great for this.

Poor baby. May just need time to recoup from all that hard work.

Hope you read that link I gave you on caring for these lil ones. I don't see water there with the feed.

Adorable babies! FYI never shoot anything down their throats it can cause them to aspirate into their air sacs.

@gooseballs

Hi.

They'll need chick grit asap if their food is whole or partial grains as shown in the photo. All flock crumble is better suited for the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom