Goose hit by car

rockymountain

Songster
7 Years
Jun 14, 2016
I have an elderly neighbor, that has had geese for years, she doesn't feed them but they have survived off her land, and a small pond. Lately her geese are coming over to my driveway. I found a dead one in my woods which was eaten. Last night my daughter was coming home about 10pm and found a hurt goose at the entrance of our driveway. She called me and I went down and we caught the goose. There is some blood not sure yet where it is coming from. One leg appears to go back, not sure if broken or damage at the joint. The goose is able to move the foot. Worried the blood could be from a broken bone in the shoulder possible. My daughter really want to help this little goose. I put in a dog cage with newspaper and a towel in a heated room. This morning was fine and pooping but has not eaten or drank water we had set up. I put a call in to my neighbor but she is 92 years old and most likely does not want to treat the goose. I explained to my daughter I will do what I can but if the joint broke thru the skin not good. I am kind of scared of geese, does hiss at me, but was okay with me when wrapped in a blanket. I was thinking trying to put in my sink and wash off and apply hydroperoxide to the wound along with Neosporin. Than try to wrap the leg in someway, before it is to late to fix. I just not sure if I should help or just let the neighbor put down. She is a softy. Not sure what is best at this point.

Attachments

• Goose.JPG
    Goose.JPG
    488.6 KB · Views: 52
I think you should help the goose and give it another crack at life! ;) Washing the wound, putting hydroperoxide and Neosporin ant wrapping the leg sounds like it should help! :D

I think you should help the goose and give it another crack at life! ;) Washing the wound, putting hydroperoxide and Neosporin ant wrapping the leg sounds like it should help! :D
Not sure how to wrap? the leg is holding backwards, not turned just back. Do I wrap it going forward and up at the leg joint, not touching the ground? I only have painter tape will that work. I do have medical tape and large cotton medical purpose for people. What type of support to keep leg in place, look for sticks or something?

Not sure how to wrap? the leg is holding backwards, not turned just back. Do I wrap it going forward and up at the leg joint, not touching the ground? I only have painter tape will that work. I do have medical tape and large cotton medical purpose for people. What type of support to keep leg in place, look for sticks or something?
The medical tape and cotton should work. Yes a stick would help with support. I believe you should wrap it going from the bottom up. :D

I thought the picture posted, and went back and posted
I have no idea what type of goose, just assumed it was my neighbors. I have a stream down by the road that goes thru my property. I rescued a duck years ago that was starving to death and you guys on this site helped me save him. That is why I am posting as my daughter wants to save him, and made me feel bad for not sure if I should try. Not sure if the leg is broken or dislocated. I haven't yet examined his wounds. Just learning what to do at this point and will check it over later. The goose is in shock as not eating or drinking yet.

I just talked to my neighbor, who owns the goose. She had a six month old sheep killed yesterday and stated it was a dog. When she went down looking over the sheep she saw a dog running towards my place. She stated she heard the goose screaming. Somehow the goose got away. So I guess the goose was bit by a dog and not a car. she appreciate me trying to fix her goose at this time. She has a call into Fish and Game but have not called her back. I am putting a game cam up where I saw another bird that had been eaten, to see if we can identify the dog causing so much damage.

I just talked to my neighbor, who owns the goose. She had a six month old sheep killed yesterday and stated it was a dog. When she went down looking over the sheep she saw a dog running towards my place. She stated she heard the goose screaming. Somehow the goose got away. So I guess the goose was bit by a dog and not a car. she appreciate me trying to fix her goose at this time. She has a call into Fish and Game but have not called her back. I am putting a game cam up where I saw another bird that had been eaten, to see if we can identify the dog causing so much damage.
Why did she call them, about the goose or the dog?? If the goose, I assume they're wild then?
If they're wild there isnt a lot you can do. That leg looks swollen to me, I wouldnt try wrapping it unless there is an open wound.

Is it drinking or eating? if its domestic, has she taken the goose home? Is she going to help it?

Back
Top Bottom