Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!

Pics
Bonding in the bathroom haha. By bumble bee i ment the size... ive got another goose egg to hatch! A friend hopefully!
So my gosling nibbles at my fingers especially my wedding ring is this going to relate to nipping as he ages? morning bath
Awesome about the egg, just remember your gosling now will be huge when this one hatches so intro will have to be done slowly. and pics are so adorable, those are some tiny quail. do you eat them? or are they pets too.What have you named your baby? Gosling and baby water fowl in general love to feel things and since they don't have hands use their mouths right now I'd say the gosling is just feeling things out learning what is edible and what isn't but if nibbling becomes biting then best thing is to keep those objects away from bill. It is also said not to hand feed geese, I do though but I use a pot with a handle to keep those bills away from my fingers sometimes they don't look at what they are biting and those bills hurt. Give your gosling things to stimulate and keep from getting bored no not any of your quail though, but some dog toys those kind that have thick ropes nothing with fringe though you don't want him getting things down his throat also i understand there are parrot toys that can give him some fun time, but that mirror will really come in handy, you want him to see he is a goose not a human since all he is seeing is humans this will prepare him for his friend. Please keep the pics coming it's been a long time since my Embden was a gosling he is 8yrs old now . and keep us updated on that egg. Is your new goose egg Embden also?

Last edited:
Awesome about the egg, just remember your gosling now will be huge when this one hatches so intro will have to be done slowly. and pics are so adorable, those are some tiny quail.  do you eat them? or are they pets too.What have you named your baby? Gosling and baby water fowl in general love to feel things and since they don't have hands use their mouths right now I'd say the gosling is just feeling things out learning what is edible and what isn't but if nibbling  becomes biting then best thing is to keep those objects away from bill. It is also said not to hand feed geese, I do though but I use a pot with a handle to keep those bills away from my fingers sometimes they don't look at what they are biting and those bills hurt. Give your gosling things to stimulate and keep from getting bored no not any of your quail though, but some dog toys those kind that have thick ropes nothing with fringe though you don't want him getting things down his throat also i understand there are parrot toys that can give him some fun time, but that mirror will really come in handy, you want him to see he is a goose not a human since all he is seeing is humans this will prepare him for his friend. Please keep the pics coming it's been a long time since my Embden was a gosling he is 8yrs old now . and keep us updated on that egg. Is your new goose egg Embden also?
I raise quail to sell, eat and eggs. Yes the new egg is embden also. I can see the chick is already large! When could he in theory hold his own with chickens?

I raise quail to sell, eat and eggs. Yes the new egg is embden also. I can see the chick is already large! When could he in theory hold his own with chickens?
I wouldn't put a young gosling in with chickens they can be ruthless. we had a memeber put 3-5 week old ducklings can't remember exact age but they were older than your lil one, And the chickens killed several and really ate up the rest. Your gosling will have to be much older before he could tackle chickens.
I'd seriously think about a separate run and house for your geese. they will be happier and when geese become adults they aren't too fond of other species either.

Where are some updated pics?

I wouldn't put a young gosling in with chickens they can be ruthless. we had a memeber put 3-5 week old ducklings can't remember exact age but they were older than your lil one, And the chickens killed several and really ate up the rest. Your gosling will have to be much older before he could tackle chickens.
I'd seriously think about a separate run and house for your geese. they will be happier and when geese become adults they aren't too fond of other species either.

Where are some updated pics?
Ill post more later. Okay i have some plans in mind for a run. My garden is getting overtaken haha.

Happens to all of us. lol   look forward to the pics.
yesterdays egg collecting accompanied by my gosling. Here is my garden with he chocken and.quail enclosure on the right at the back, im thinking of using the dark brown coop with railway sleeprs for a goose coop and pond. Eother on the roght next to wall or at the back of the garden, what do you think?

yesterdays egg collecting accompanied by my gosling. Here is my garden with he chocken and.quail enclosure on the right at the back, im thinking of using the dark brown coop with railway sleeprs for a goose coop and pond. Eother on the roght next to wall or at the back of the garden, what do you think?
That's one cute lil gosling dif a gander so now you need to hatch a female
wink.png
but you don't have to let them hatch goslings if space is a problem mine aren't hatching I just collect their eggs.

I can't figure on the size of the dark brown coop but geese get pretty tall and need space inside so not sure if that dark brown coop would work. But if your going to do a pond I'd say it would be better up against the brick that the wood because it will stay wet most of the time. In the Book of Geese by Dave Holderread[best person to go to for info on waterfowl]he rec 7.5-10sq ft of floor space in over night housing.and that is if they are only in it at night. What about your neighbors geese can pretty loud. I like your closed garden though it's really nice.

Last edited:
The brown coop is 9sq ft and 3.3 foot high. Yeah i just built my fence on friday, made the garden a much better space. The next plan is to rip the patio and grass out and turf and lay cobble stones and gravel. Oh and build a wee goose kingdom! I was thinking coop then sleeper pond, long, that being the only way to get in and out. And let them have the garden... (this months project) well ill see how they get on i may have to sell or otherwise, much depends on the sex of the next gosling really. Good info with the overnight space.

The brown coop is 9sq ft and 3.3 foot high. Yeah i just built my fence on friday, made the garden a much better space. The next plan is to rip the patio and grass out and turf and lay cobble stones and gravel. Oh and build a wee goose kingdom! I was thinking coop then sleeper pond, long, that being the only way to get in and out. And let them have the garden... (this months project) well ill see how they get on i may have to sell or otherwise, much depends on the sex of the next gosling really. Good info with the overnight space.
sleeper pond meaning they would be outside 24/7? no predators? no way i could leave any of my flock outside over night. what is a railway sleeper?

I know not everyone gets as attached to their animals as others but your lil gosling is imprinted on you I hope if your talking about selling them you can find them a great home.

a wee goose kingdom sounds nice.
smile.png

Im in a built up area never seen any predetors in the two years ive had hens here, now im fenced in, lights, camera, and gun at the ready. Id be quit happy to have them free, the water would be the only way into the coop making night attack nore difficult. A railway sleeper is a large piece of timber, 9inch by 4 inch by 5ft i have a few spare.

Back
Top Bottom