Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!

Pics
Hi, I have a question for you. I have been incubating toulouse geese, temp. at 99.5, misting daily, turning an odd number of times daily, and I've kept my humidity between 45-50% and achieved accurate weight loss so far, but my question is regarding lockdown and when to stop turning. I have read several places to stop turning on day 25 and put them into lockdown and raise your humidity, I have also read that you can turn the eggs until they externally pip and then put them in lockdown and raise the humidity, I don't know which way would be best? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I just read a few pages back that you should turn them until they're internally pipped, so I guess is this what most people do or do they strictly stop turning on day 25 and go into lockdown? I have two eggs that I quit turning on Day 25 and I have some more to soon follow, but for the one's that have not been turned for a couple days (now day 27), should I resume turning until they pip internally or if by me not turning for the last couple days and then resuming, would that harm them? I've also been told not to candle during lockdown, please help!

I just read a few pages back that you should turn them until they're internally pipped, so I guess is this what most people do or do they strictly stop turning on day 25 and go into lockdown?  I have two eggs that I quit turning on Day 25  and I have some more to soon follow, but for the one's that have not been turned for a couple days (now day 27), should I resume turning until they pip internally or if by me not turning for the last couple days and then resuming, would that harm them?  I've also been told not to candle during lockdown, please help!

I stopped turning at day 25. I also just barely opened the incubator and stuck my candler in to peek at the eggs so I knew when they internally pipped. I misted the eggs with water when doing that so they had plenty of humidity.

I quit turning my first go around with the eggs on day 25 and none of them internally pipped or hatched. I did open the eggs once I knew they had passed and they were all in hatching position but one that was malpositioned. Several had the yolk and blood absorbed and a couple did not. I really don't want a repeat of my last hatch. I put my candler into the incubator like you described and so far today, day 28, I cannot see any internal pipping as of yet. I'm at a total loss here. If they get to day 30 or so and there's no internally pipping would it be worth a shot to try to create an internal pip and see if the blood and yolk is absorbed and maybe give them a chance to live rather than just let them die? Thanks!

I tried once to do an internal pipping in one egg at day 30 (the goosling was breeding, we could hear the "click"), nevertheless it start to bleed on the cut, and after a couple of hours it was dead.
I also have problems during the hatching stage ( I tried only twice), and never got an external pipping. I only had success in one egg that arrive at the last stage, and it was necessary to break the egg shelf after day 29 and after 3 days of internal pipping.
There must be a problem with the shelf break. Do you eggs are loose or fixed in the incubator? I wonder if that is a problem during external pipping...

Okay, so I will definitely rule out trying to do an internal pip. I actually just candled the egg that is on day 28 and it looks as though it has finally pipped internally. I guess now it's just waiting to see if it externally pips. I suppose if it gets to day 30 (I'm assuming after two days and no progress then to help) and is still internally pipped I will make and external one and try to let it finish the job. I have the eggs flat in the incubator and not in the egg turners, I have been hand turning them fat end over fat end instead of rotating to the side and then I have had the fat end at a slight angle. Last year I only incubated two eggs and one was not fertile and the other hatched without any trouble on day 29, that's why I'm not understanding why I'm having such a hard time this year, I guess it's just bad luck.

I have 9 Embden eggs in a vintage 1970s hovabator incubator, had to remove the wire tray in order for them to fit (used window screen instead) Don't know what the humidity is but will up it later, temp said 99-100 on an old thermometer when I put them all in there weeks ago. They are chirping and moving. They seem to respond to noise, the kids, and they react to the flashlight, they are in the living room/slash dining room. Chicken eggs were in there with them but put them with the banty in the chicken shed when they started moving and chirping. They hatched and are running around outside now. They never did get a lockdown and the attacking hell hen didn't sit on them at first. Maybe things are too technical?

Back
Top Bottom