Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!

Pics
Thank you for such a detailed and well thought out post. I hadn't been game to try hatching geese but after reading this I think I'm ready give it a try.
big_smile.png

Pete-
Great article! congrats on the publication.
I had the idea of incubating a couple african goose eggs...I loved the article, but although I think the process of hatching is exciting and intriguing, I think it is a little bit more than I can chew. So I will leave it to the professionals, like yourself.
I think that the people out there, like me that know nothing,
idunno.gif
and dont have the time or ability, or correct equiptment to do hatching shouldn't do it! and a person should be able to make that call and NOT DO IT!(U know who u are!) Too many viable eggs are wasted on the people that know nothing about hatching eggs. like me.
Just know when to say no ya'll;) . Just becaue you own a bird that is capeable of laying eggs doesnt mean you have to hatch the eggs.
I know some people do it for a hobbie and thats cool, but when I hear someone incubating their first time and they say they have 50 eggs going, I cant see that as a hobby, I see it as someone who doesn't know what their doing trying to hatch 50+ goslings,for what? So they can make a extra buck. I hope your article will help the ones that DON'T know what they are doing,and the ones that DO know what they are doing, to be more successful in the hatching process.
VERY FINE WORK! thanks for sharing your knowledge with the ones that DO know what their doing, and the ones that DON'T but wanna do it anyway.
pop.gif
this is great entertainment GO BYC! lol:lol:
Thanks
T.
PS: I found a aprox. 6day old gos.(on may 6th) wandering wet and cold ona busy road at my grandmas house. Not a clue where he came from??? I thought it was a duck(really shows how much I know), brought it home took a pic. and took it to the feed store to get another "duck" just like it.....just Bout crapped my pants when the guy said I had a beautiful African Gosling on my hands. Well, got him a Khaki Campbell duckling for a friend(would have gotten another gosling like it,but they only sold them in pairs), and they are both stuck like glue and growing like weeds.(Im their momma now:celebrate) I may not be able to hatch, but I have 5 beautiful acres in the country that he and his duck(s)(i have two 7wk old Pekins too)will have a great life as long as I can help it.
frow.gif

Last edited:
All I can say is WOW!. This is such a comprehensive guide. I didn't realize there was so much to hatchings. This answers a lot of questions I had.

I do have a couple of questions. I have a Touleese Goose who has started laying eggs. She has 2 in her nest. When do you pull the eggs? Do you wait for her to start sitting or take them as she lays them? You mentioned it's good for the parents to do 66% of the work. How do I know when that is?

I have another one who has been sitting on what we think are about 6-8 eggs for about 4 weeks. I am beginning to think they are not fertile. Do we pull them or just let her sit on them? I don't want her wasting her time for nothing.

We had thought to just let nature take it's course, but am beginning to think we might want to take control and incubate.

We are very new to this.

Last edited:
What an amazing and informational link. I wish I would have stumbled across this the first time I hatched out ducklings! I made so many rookie mistakes just because I didn't know or wanted to understand. I was a wreck and had both positive and negative reults. However I am learning and will refer back to this for reference when I'm questioning something. I'll also definitely refer it on to others
smile.png

Hi Critterranch

Im still around and I think this thread is still a 'sticky' for waterfowl incubation. As the breeding season is progressing there appears to be less incubation related questions to answer. Its similar for ourselves as only have 3 Toulouse eggs left in the incubator then thats the hatching season over for us with the geese.

However we've still got parrots and tortoises incubating. I hang around on the geese hatching thread mainly and also on the Sebastopol Geese Lovers forum
fl.gif

Pete
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom