Goose lays 7 eggs at a time

My goose brought off her brood today. Great excitement from her mate and he has turned very aggressive. She has 6 goslings out of ten eggs. 7 actually hatched, but it looks like one was crushed just after pushing its way out of the shell. It was partly in the shell - legs and back end, but was still very wet. Too bad. The 6 are little beauties and very healthy. Momma brought them out so she could eat some pellets and drink, but she took them back to the nest very quickly as it had started to rain. The goslings were already trying to eat grass.
Nice to watch the natural process rather than hatch them in an incubator. I have used an incubator - homemade - for chickens, Guinea hens, and ducks, but never geese.
My Guinea hen laid today. Very cold now in Laos and lots of rain so is creating problems - 2 newly hatched broods of Red Jungle Fowl, 12 chicks (Fayoumi X Thai Game hen(like Indian Game), 9 young Ducks, 6 Vietnamese Yellow chicks I bought from a vendor, 2 Silky cross chicks - very black, 5 Fayoumi X Gold Sex Link chicks, and 1 bantam X Fayoumi chick. Also 3 adult Red Jungle Fowl, 1 local silver duckwing hen, 1 tiny wild-coloured hen on 7 eggs with the nice Jungle Fowl rooster, 1Silver Duckwing part bantam hen, 1 Fayoumi Rooster, 2Gold sexlink hens, 1Thai Game hen. Lots of work.
@JimArcher Laos? never thought it would get cold there. Are we going to get to see these goslings? no fair talking about them and how pretty with out proof. lol

pop.gif

I will try to send some pics. Poppa is extremely aggressive now. Hard to even feed them as he sees that as interfering with his feed dishes and territory. He is a real P in the A. Better to leave them as alone as possible as the adults tend to step on the babies when they get excited.

I will try to send some pics. Poppa is extremely aggressive now. Hard to even feed them as he sees that as interfering with his feed dishes and territory. He is a real P in the A. Better to leave them as alone as possible as the adults tend to step on the babies when they get excited.
Yes better to leave them for now give the goslings a chance to get stronger we can wait. It's getting close to breeding season here so I have to be very careful around my 2 ganders, one is much more aggressive than the other. They sure take their responsibilities to the highest level.

Back
Top Bottom