Goose limping, swollen and discolored toe. Help!

OnceUponAGoose

Hatching
Mar 16, 2024
I have a 1-year-old American Buff goose and noticed her limping a couple of days ago. Initially I was thinking she may have sprained it, but was able to pick her up last night and physically examine the foot: one toe is swollen and discolored--it's lighter in color, almost as if there is a lack of blood supply. I don't see any wounds or the typical signs of bumblefoot (at least what we've seen/treated with our ducks). The leg and foot don't feel hot to the touch. Any idea of what could be going on? My plan is to clean the leg and foot really well today--generally be more thorough--to ensure I didn't overlook something and go from there. I'll take new photos as well because I realize the mud/dirt on her foot isn't helping with the visual.

IMG_1090 (1).jpg
IMG_1092.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg

I have a 1-year-old American Buff goose and noticed her limping a couple of days ago. Initially I was thinking she may have sprained it, but was able to pick her up last night and physically examine the foot: one toe is swollen and discolored--it's lighter in color, almost as if there is a lack of blood supply. I don't see any wounds or the typical signs of bumblefoot (at least what we've seen/treated with our ducks). The leg and foot don't feel hot to the touch. Any idea of what could be going on? My plan is to clean the leg and foot really well today--generally be more thorough--to ensure I didn't overlook something and go from there. I'll take new photos as well because I realize the mud/dirt on her foot isn't helping with the visual.

View attachment 3773369View attachment 3773367View attachment 3773368
Hi and :welcome! I'm sorry we just now saw your post and your goose isn't feeling well. I'm not sure what to do about the swollen toe, other than let her soak it like @Jenbirdee said and don't let her run around. If I have limping I immediately give an extra dose of niacin just to be on the safe side. Hopefully someone more experienced will be along to help soon too.

How is your goose doing?

I would definitely soak it, it could be some sort of sting or spider bite if not a brake. If it’s broken you could try to splint it with popsicle sticks, it’s trickier because of the webbing than it is for chickens but it might be done with some vet wrap, a temporary goose shoe, and possible some glue.

Back
Top Bottom