Goose Nesting

hephaestion

Hatching
Sep 12, 2023
Hi

I live in rural Australia so we have ooposite seasons to probably everyone else who is a member.. The problem I have is I have a goose who has decided to make a nest near my back porch. I have a large chicken coup (we call them chook pens) about 70 sq m. I have made nesting areas in the pen for chickens, ducks, geeese and turkeys. We have foxes that go on the prowl at nite. Geese can normally defend themselves from the foxes. but I am concerned because my goose is now more vulnerable because she is nesting. I tried to build a temporary fence around her for protection but she gets quite upset when I get too close so I can't build the fence. So what I have done is leave the back porch lights on all night as foxes tend to prowl where its dark, this seems to work so far and has kept the foxes away. What i am worried about is when the eggs hatch. I'm not sure my goose will be able to protect the goslings. Can I move the goslings into the chook pen once they hatch to a nest there and if I do will the goose follow and still mother protect her goslings or will she abandon them. If necessary I can put them under a heat lamp and keep them inside. Can some one please advise what is best to do under the circumstances. It is spring here now so still cool but not not really cold anymore.

Cheers

I would move her eggs into a secluded corner in the chook pen, geese also tend to like little “caves” so a large box or dog travel crate can also entice nesting.
Moving her eggs can make her abandon them, but with most of mine that have gone full broody they’ll just take up nesting wherever they find a big pile of goose eggs so abandonment isn’t as much of a concern if she’s become fully invested in them.

I wouldn’t trust the foxes, a grown goose’s only real defense is bluff when a fox means business, I follow someone on insta who lost her precious goose “Bibbles“ to a fox a few years back in Australia 😔

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for replying. Leaving the lights on the back porch seems to work so far from keeping the foxes away. i haven't heard even one honk from her during the nite. She did this last year and I tried to move her eggs and she abandoned them. I'm going to try to build a fence around her on the weekend. I will just have to make the area quite large I think so as to not make her too upset. Hopefully the eggs will hatch and then I might try and move the goslings into the chook pen and hopefully she will follow. One more question.If I move the goslings into the pen and she abandons them can I use a heat lamp for the goslings whilst they are quite young as you do for chicks?

Back
Top Bottom