Goose Not Eating - need help

felys

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
My goose has not been eating for almost 4 days.

He drinks water and I've managed to get him to drink some vitamins.

He's a bit more slow in walking and sleeps more often.

He still follows his gander around and I've seen them mating two or three times in the past few days.

He still bathes and preens.

I don't know what is wrong with him.

His knob seems fuller and warm (warmer than usual) to touch.

I'm worried about him.

I have tried ACV which he hates and will not go near. He was not interested in chopped apples. Ignored watermelon juice.
All of these are not his usual diet.

He would nibble (a teeny tiny bit ) on dried meal worms and grass. I wouldn't even say a mouthful. He ignores his feed.

What should I do next?

I have chicken meds (will post the photo). Should I give it to him? Screenshot_2023-08-03-08-30-13-303_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Hi! Can you offer him sweetened water to whet his appetite? Then offer him any treats he loves. I don't know much about geese, can they get coccidia?

How old is he?

@Wyorp Rock @azygous
Thank you for your reply.

He's 10 months old. Born Oct last year so we named him Pumpkin.

Not sure about coccidia... But I read another forum post and their goose may have had mycolotoxins, with similar symptoms.

(With lots of research online) we decided to give the antibiotics yesterday evening (my country's time) and this morning, he started to nibble on grass. His poop is improving (it was bright green previously or just white), and starting to look almost normal.

I hope this means he's on the way to recovery. We're continuing the course of treatment for the next 3 days (5 days in total).

Back
Top Bottom