Goose with worms??!

LaneKim

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Del Rio
Hi,
I have 6 geese three adult and three younger geese that were born this past season. My Male goose has been wondering around away from the rest for a while now, he strays very far from the rest of the geese and is recently always dirty, he doesn't seem to bathe often at all. I have been wondering if maybe he was sick. Today I got the chance to catch him and look him over. (btw he has had major "poopy butt" for awhile also) He seems to have some kind of small white worms all around is bum. There are tons! I dipped his bum and tried to use a little brush to get some of them off, it worked a little. Just wondering if anyone knows what this is. I've googled it and keep coming up with so many diff types.... help please!

how do I treat?! The worms are VERY small and thin they are around his butt like mites are on chickens.

:/ alright thanks everyone. We have a wormer called Wazine 17 it's for a few different types including roundworm... my mother thinks it could be round worm also any input on that?

Start with wazine, 1oz per gallon for one day remove other water for the day.
Recheck in two weeks and keep an eye on him until then.
If no improvement then you can increase to the ivermectin treatment.

Wazine for all poultry, and deworm dogs too for that matter.

I feel strongly like an active goose who bathes and freeranges over acres of frsh grass each day is not likely to have fly strike, especially after you said you didnt see maggots, but instead saw worms. Keep an eye on him, any decrease in activity or lethargy calls for isolation. So far this sounds like an unfortunate event in a mostly typical barnyard. This is especially true since he has always had a bit of dirty butt and has a deformity which prevents him from bathing as well as the ladies.

Back
Top Bottom