Gosling help! Umbilical problem

goliadmom

Hatching
Apr 28, 2023
IMG_2790.jpeg
IMG_2790.jpeg
IMG_2791.jpeg

This gosling hatched assisted since he has internally piped for 18 hours and seemed to be getting weaker. He’s been like this for 24 hours. Wrapped in wet warm paper towel with antibiotic ointments over protruding part. I’m gently massaging the area as well. He seems to not be getting any stronger and the stump isn’t shrinking. Is there anything else I can do to help ?

That is the goslings yolk it has not adsorbed it yet You will want to put him back in the incubator and keep the humidity high. It will be a long 12 to 24 hours for it to keep preparing to hatch so you will want to treat it as if he in still in the shell hatching. Do not put moist cloths or anything on it. If you can darken the incubator without ventilation being compromise so it can get dark rest.

I currently have a gosling that looks similar to this. Did he get better? If so what did you do?
Hi, can you post a few pics? Is your gosling's eyes open and is he moving? If the eyes are open they have a good chance, if not they are usually just too weak to make it. Did you assist the hatch or did he hatch this way on his own?
Make sure it's on paper towels or something soft so he can't rip his navel open further.
The OP hasn't been on since last summer so you probably won't get a reply from them unfortunately.

Hi, can you post a few pics? Is your gosling's eyes open and is he moving? If the eyes are open they have a good chance, if not they are usually just too weak to make it. Did you assist the hatch or did he hatch this way on his own?
Make sure it's on paper towels or something soft so he can't rip his navel open further.
The OP hasn't been on since last summer so you probably won't get a reply from them unfortunately.
I have a video but I’m not sure how to upload it. I posted my own thread but thought I’d ask on others as well. Gosling is super active, eyes open, reactive etc. is acting perfectly healthy. I did not assist hatch, and he hatched very enthusiastically. Immediately after he hatched he started flipping around and I noticed his naval. After doing research I placed him in moist paper towels in a cup alone back in the incubator. He hatched about 12 hours ago and I just checked and it’s still out, I think it has improved but I didn’t take photos when I first saw it because he was so active.

Back
Top Bottom