Gosling with a severed foot.

At the moment I just want Hobart to have a clean bill of health. I want him to ultimately be happy.. but one step at a time....literally, for Hobart.

While this is usually just commonsense, when you have a baby animal that will likely be crippled for life, to whatever extent, it really can help to get them company at a young age so they grow up together. It's not a guarantee but it's more likely to work than introducing adult company later on.

Babies can learn to be tolerant of injured animals easier than adults can. Also in the case of social animals obviously having company can be almost as important as treatment; there's been a few times I've taken in a crippled animal infant and not gotten it company because it seemed like too much work when in fact getting it company at such a young age would have been the wisest move. Just a suggestion. It may work out, or not work out, either way, of course.

Best wishes.

While this is usually just commonsense, when you have a baby animal that will likely be crippled for life, to whatever extent, it really can help to get them company at a young age so they grow up together. It's not a guarantee but it's more likely to work than introducing adult company later on.

Babies can learn to be tolerant of injured animals easier than adults can. Also in the case of social animals obviously having company can be almost as important as treatment; there's been a few times I've taken in a crippled animal infant and not gotten it company because it seemed like too much work when in fact getting it company at such a young age would have been the wisest move. Just a suggestion. It may work out, or not work out, either way, of course.

Best wishes.
Absolutely a very good point.

Here is a streaming camera on Hobart. I am taking him to the vet this afternoon, but this is the set up i have while he is recovering. He has a mirror to chat with, and he can see our other ducks from his area. I don't want to leave him alone with my ducks during the day just yet. Im still concerned about his injury but I have opened the space up for him to move about. His crate is sized for a Great Dane...the video makes it look small! His enclosure is a giant gate for children...it's actually quite spacious. I just didn't want to give him too much at once so he can rest.

Live streaming video by Ustream

Poor little guy. I sincerely hope whatever happened to him was an accident, I just can't imagine anyone doing something so awful.
Can't wait to see him all healed.

Here is a streaming camera on Hobart. I am taking him to the vet this afternoon, but this is the set up i have while he is recovering. He has a mirror to chat with, and he can see our other ducks from his area. I don't want to leave him alone with my ducks during the day just yet. Im still concerned about his injury but I have opened the space up for him to move about. His crate is sized for a Great Dane...the video makes it look small! His enclosure is a giant gate for children...it's actually quite spacious. I just didn't want to give him too much at once so he can rest.

Live streaming video by Ustream
Good idea to keep him contained. Well, you´ve gone all out to help him. i love his huge mirror. Poor little chap. Looking forward to seeing it all healed up. Ah, I see his wing. Looks like Angel wing. You could wrap it, you know, by tucking it under where it should go, and just wrapping the two parts of the wing limb together, if you see what I mean, not the whole wing.
Poor little guy. I sincerely hope whatever happened to him was an accident, I just can't imagine anyone doing something so awful.
Can't wait to see him all healed.
I still think some unthinking person discarded a disposable bbq and he walked on it.

Tonight may be a rough night. They needed to removed all of the scabs on both wounds. Only a portion of the foot scab could be removed. He's on antibiotics and anti inflamatory medications. I also have to give him a treatment twice a day that involves spraying water directly into the wounds for 5-10 minutes. It's hopefully going to stimulate the tissue to start the healing process.

The whole process is very traumatic for me and him. I've been a wreck all afternoon dreading having to put him through such horrid pain. It makes my heart sink to see his eyes following me and not understanding why I keep hurting him like that. I wish he realized.

It took me 45 minutes and lots of tears to complete the painful treatment that I am supposed to give him twice a day.

Birds hide pain very well, but he couldn't hide how much this hurts him. I am terrified that he could go into shock or that his body is just going to shut down. I am so devestated that he had to go through this. He didn't do anything to deserve it.

Tonight may be a rough night. They needed to removed all of the scabs on both wounds. Only a portion of the foot scab could be removed. He's on antibiotics and anti inflamatory medications. I also have to give him a treatment twice a day that involves spraying water directly into the wounds for 5-10 minutes. It's hopefully going to stimulate the tissue to start the healing process.

The whole process is very traumatic for me and him. I've been a wreck all afternoon dreading having to put him through such horrid pain. It makes my heart sink to see his eyes following me and not understanding why I keep hurting him like that. I wish he realized.

It took me 45 minutes and lots of tears to complete the painful treatment that I am supposed to give him twice a day.

Birds hide pain very well, but he couldn't hide how much this hurts him. I am terrified that he could go into shock or that his body is just going to shut down. I am so devestated that he had to go through this. He didn't do anything to deserve it.
Well, this that you say does make sense, in that to help something to grow back new skin it´s good to keep it damp. Is this what your aunt is trying to do? We had to do the same with a dog once. Sometimes we have to keep it dry, sometimes to keep it wet.....
idunno.gif

So is it just the spraying water that hurts him? What is it that´s so so bad now? Seems the worst bit must have been the cleaning. Poor little thing, and you, too!
hugs.gif

So sorry for you and Hobart, your right he didn't deserve this injury, but hopefully he'll heal quicker now with what your having to do for him, they are very forgiving Vickers so just keep on loving him through it all. How is he this morning ?

Your right that he didn't deserve it, and it's hard. But if these are his doctors orders, then it has to be done. Maybe after his treatments you can cuddle him and feed him some yummy snacks to comfort both of you after enduring that.

Good luck to you both. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom