Goslings of 2015 Hatch-a-Long

Sold two pair of white chinese tonight. They went to a good home. Almost a mirror image of what they had here. I kept one white chinese goose incase i ever get another brown gander. That leaves me with two toulouse, a tufted roman goose, Stormy & my tufted toulouse cross. The only gander(that i know of) is Tucker the toulouse. Having only 6 geese here is kind of weird.
Im thinking of ordering a female tufted roman gosling & a pair of tufted buffs in the spring.

Im gonna give this a chance since its only been 4 days. I had to be on the same stuff as a baby because of the same problems. If not then its on to the goats milk. Was it Dark Karo or light Karo? I have light karo been trying that but ive heard its not as good as the dark.
I used the light but if dark is better use it, you know back when my kids were born late 60's we were still doing things that had been handed down to us. Too bad alot of that has gone by the way side. some of it should probably but there was alot of tried and true things that were good.
I hope you can find something that helps the lil one nothing worse than tummy troubles when one is so young.

I bet it does seem kind of sparse around your place right now with 4 geese missing.

I used the light but if dark is better use it, you know back when my kids were born late 60's we were still doing things that had been handed down to us. Too bad alot of that has gone by the way side. some of it should probably but there was alot of tried and true things that were good.
I hope you can find something that helps the lil one nothing worse than tummy troubles when one is so young.

I bet it does seem kind of sparse around your place right now with 4 geese missing.

We have had a couple improvements last night & this morning. Maybe something is starting to work for her. Two dirty diapers is better than one a week. The light karo is what my family has always used so i didnt know if there was a difference. Hopefully a long with the prune juice things will begin working for her. If not i will find something else.
My grandma is still alive, she had 6 kids so she should to know other tricks. Im sure she will suggest other milk as well.

The geese that are left are behaving themselves lol they werent the trouble makers anyway but they're being good just incase. The ducks are relieved that those 4 are gone. It is sure different here compared to having 20+ geese last spring.

One of the things that I love most about BYC is that things come up that peak my curiosity and make me look things up. So, difference between light and dark Karo syrup. Very little. The dark has refiners' syrup which is a kind of molasses while the light does not. Otherwise they are essentially the same. So either one should be o.k. to use. The dark has a little more "flavor" simply because of the molasses.

Hope the baby is doing better.

One of the things that I love most about BYC is that things come up that peak my curiosity and make me look things up. So, difference between light and dark Karo syrup. Very little. The dark has refiners' syrup which is a kind of molasses while the light does not. Otherwise they are essentially the same. So either one should be o.k. to use. The dark has a little more "flavor" simply because of the molasses.

Hope the baby is doing better.
Thanks jtn very interesting and if dark has molasses then that would help with pooping to say it bluntly.
hmm.png

We have had a couple improvements last night & this morning. Maybe something is starting to work for her. Two dirty diapers is better than one a week. The light karo is what my family has always used so i didnt know if there was a difference. Hopefully a long with the prune juice things will begin working for her. If not i will find something else.
My grandma is still alive, she had 6 kids so she should to know other tricks. Im sure she will suggest other milk as well.

The geese that are left are behaving themselves lol they werent the trouble makers anyway but they're being good just incase. The ducks are relieved that those 4 are gone. It is sure different here compared to having 20+ geese last spring.
Good to hear 8 and ask grandma I'd be interested in hearing what she has to say.

I'm sure your geese are talking amongst themselves wondering who is next. My ducks would be happy if my 4 disappeared one night for good.

Actually, like most sugars and sugar syrups, it has very little nutritional value. Mainly it is high in sugar based carbs. Sorry.
I know that but it didn't kill any of us either, ever read what's in baby formula
sickbyc.gif
no wonder so many kids have allergies etc. Not saying it's the right thing to do but I wonder if molasses would be okay to use [good quality] it is only a small amount anyway.

I know that but it didn't kill any of us either, ever read what's in baby formula
sickbyc.gif
no wonder so many kids have allergies etc. Not saying it's the right thing to do but I wonder if molasses would be okay to use [good quality] it is only a small amount anyway.
True molasses has Iron so it might slow down pooping rather than increase it. I know that when I was a baby (little kid) a treat my grandmother would give me was Sorghum Molasses and raw goat milk soaked into a little piece of cloth to suck on. Also, sore throat...molasses with black pepper. Cold and sniffles...honey, chopped onion and black pepper. Upset stomach...saltine crackers (homemade from pie crust dough) and bicarbonate of soda. Ear ache...warm olive oil directly into the ear...I would be careful with that one though. Having trouble sleeping...sandwich of white bread, mayonnaise and sliced red onion.

I still use some of these remedies today. She could also predict the weather with near 100% accuracy based on birds and bugs behavior. My grandmother was a really amazing woman.

True molasses has Iron so it might slow down pooping rather than increase it. I know that when I was a baby (little kid) a treat my grandmother would give me was Sorghum Molasses and raw goat milk soaked into a little piece of cloth to suck on. Also, sore throat...molasses with black pepper. Cold and sniffles...honey, chopped onion and black pepper. Upset stomach...saltine crackers (homemade from pie crust dough) and bicarbonate of soda. Ear ache...warm olive oil directly into the ear...I would be careful with that one though. Having trouble sleeping...sandwich of white bread, mayonnaise and sliced red onion.

I still use some of these remedies today. She could also predict the weather with near 100% accuracy based on birds and bugs behavior. My grandmother was a really amazing woman.
Do you think even a half teaspoon would slow it down? but I like your grannys remedies, wonder why she didn't use ground hog oil on the feet when you had a cold or maybe ya'll don't have ground hog out west? lol also mustard plaster.around here olive oil is sweet oil when put in the ears.

Hi All! Just found this thread and read it front to back already (day off today!). This is going to be my first breeding season with geese, I have 9 Pilgrims, 3 ganders and 6 geese. I have to agree with the 'not ready for breeding' view, but have been seeing and hearing some friskiness from my flock so started setting up breeding pens. Hopefully I'll get them done before I start finding eggs everywhere. I start, then think of a 'better idea' and stop then go back to original idea, stop, "better" idea, stop. <sigh>

Anyway, I've got a broken mini-fridge I'm working on turning into a bator, something bigger than the brinsea mini I'm going to set chicken eggs in for the first time tomorrow. So the geese can take their time, got nothing big enough to incubate goose eggs in yet!

Here's my little flock, and PoPo the bottle-lamb-thinks-she's-a-goose. Not sure what PoPo will do if I put all the rest into breeding pens and not her!
Oh, and I have Australian Shepherds. : )

Back
Top Bottom