Goslings of 2015 Hatch-a-Long

Jtn every year I have atleast two geese that share same nest (once I had 3 geese sharing one nest)
But it never goes well if geese share the same nest because they could crush eachothers eggs and eggs will roll out of the nest which always happens!
They might hatch a gosling or two if you are lucky but you could get way more if both have a separate nest.

I have a question the person that wants a baby goose told me that after the last one died she looked it up how to incubate and that ur supposed to spray them 1 time a day and in the first 3 weeks u let them out of the incubator for 7-10 minutes then the last week u let them out for 20-25 minutes ive never heard of that and I said my humidity was 80% sometimes 90 so thats not the prob it just wasn't supposed to hatch but have u evr heard if letting the eggs out ive always thought to NOT open the incubator unless to turn if u have to bc it lets humidity out so idk

I have a question the person that wants a baby goose told me that after the last one died she looked it up how to incubate and that ur supposed to spray them 1 time a day and in the first 3 weeks u let them out of the incubator for 7-10 minutes then the last week u let them out for 20-25 minutes ive never heard of that and I said my humidity was 80% sometimes 90 so thats not the prob it just wasn't supposed to hatch but have u evr heard if letting the eggs out ive always thought to NOT open the incubator unless to turn if u have to bc it lets humidity out so idk

Yes we all do it. We call it cooling the eggs. Even the mother goose comes off the nest for that long to eat, drink & bathe

I actually don't cool my eggs, only time I touch the incubator is every 2 days when I moisten the egg's and candle em at the same time.

Well seeing everyone posting about mating and laying I went out and prepared the nests for the girls. This is my third year with geese. Hopefully this year we will get everything right. First year raised a pair and my female became eggbound with her second egg. Bought 2 female goslings and my gander raised them. The second spring I unsuccessfully hatched about 20 eggs. The I let the girls hitch their own. One female hatched 8 out of 8 eggs. Then raccoons found a way into Fort Knox and killed goslings and destroyed the nest of the other sitting goose. We shored up Fort Knox and are awaiting breeding season. Both previous years a goose laid the first egg on March 6th. We will see if it different this year!

Last edited:
Hey flockman, good to see you. Best wishes for a great hatching season in 2015.
smile.png

I too would be worried about what Ollies fate might be if he went back to the farmer. As long as they enjoy being around me when I come outside I am happy, Missy is like Ollie she is the one who always stands off at a distance and watches me like I may at any moment pounce on her being raised for the first 4 months of her life with out hardly any human contact makes her this way. Try to make exceptions with Ollie if you give him a chance he'll be a great gander for both of your girls, now he's going to want to mate with them because that's just natural so you'll have to be careful with Forest .
I decided to keep Ollie after reading this post. However, if I ever found him a home where I knew he would be a pet, I would consider re-homing him. I agree with you and dont trust his fate going back to the farmer. Their birds are multi use including food. It wouldnt be fair to go from a farm bird, to a pet, to a farm bird and then to the dinner table. I think it is great for people to grow their own food as long as it isnt their pets. I wasnt thinking about Ollie at all in a manner of his fate. He has gotten used to our routine. He is completely separate from Forest and Mandie. He tries to peck at both of them. Not in a nice way either. He tries to yank out Forest's feathers and went right for Mandie's face. The last time I attempted to put them together Forest got in between Mandie and Ollie and made a honking sound that was clearly :"stay away from my baby" and she tried to peck him several times. She was so distressed that I will only allow them to be together outside of the run when we are with them. Im sure Ollie would like Mandie once she is older but I dont want them to bond because I got her for Forest. Forest has been much happier since we got Mandie. She still pecks at her a little, but it isnt nasty. They stay in the same outside run together. Forest loves to watch her because she is so so busy. Mandie never stops moving and playing with things. I got them a bunch of toddler toys that they absolutely love. Every night they (Forest and Mandie) come inside, if it gets too late they start honking in a very distressed way. We have a nighttime routine and they are very happy. Actually all of the birds are happy right now. Ollie gets along well with the other three duck boysthat are separated from the girls. My silkie chicken and two muscovy ducks decided to go broody. I allowed them too because well..... I really like candling eggs with my son. I hope they dont all die like last time.

Oh... and for those who remember my micro duck, she eventually grew into a petite but full sized duck and is doing great too.
I'm always glad to hear about Spirit. Im glad he is recovering well. I would love to see pics of the micro duck if you have them posted to a thread somewhere.

i have sad news the 2 older eggs died but in still got the week one in idk why they died but its prob for a good reason
Sorry to hear that. I agree for a good reason.

I know this isnt Gozie related, but I only talk to you guys and am wondering if you were following this story, What your opinions are. If this is inappropriate, then I dont mind asking on a different thread, or starting a new one.

There should be an updated story out there somewhere ,
http://www.kcbd.com/story/27777950/save-the-swan

but I have been following it on Facebook. Here is the Facebook link.
https://www.facebook.com/HEALAnimals?fref=nf

It really upsets me that this swan died only because of state law. I guess it just really hits home since Florida has similar laws about muscovies.

Back
Top Bottom