Goslings of 2015 Hatch-a-Long

Here are my dewlaps enjoying a lazy spring Sunday morning with two pairs of Canada geese that have decided to move in.

8 this one is a tough one especially because geese with a tuft are most difficult to sex in my opinion

I will try to get better pics. Its voice is weird, one time it sounds like a girl and the next a gander but Im with you im thinking male.

After this mornings incident im hoping male. I turned my birds out to free range like always. Last night someone dropped 4 dogs, it has been many many years since any dogs were dropped in this neighborhood, and i didnt know. After i came back in for breakfast they came and attacked, my brother caught them in the act. Both my toulouse, Tucker & Tori are dead and i lost a chicken. My ducks are fine though and so are Ethel, Stormy and the gosling. Tucker was my only gander this year & him and tori were my original geese. I swear something is trying to tell me to just give up on geese.
The humane officer has been called on the dogs.

The only good thing to come out of today so far is i set my duck eggs i got friday. 11 blue swedish and 13 blue swedish x pekin crosses.

I should be able to help you out.  I have production Toulouse (mostly grey, some buff mixed in), brown and white Africans (group is not separated) and African/Toulouse crosses.  I know where my Toulouse and African/Toulouse crosses are laying, but will have to go on a hunt to find my Africans' nests.  I would give you a great deal on those.  Of course, I also have dewlaps but they are pricey.

Those all sound great. I would need to wait a little while though i like my goslings to hatch in May. That way the weather is warm enough to take them out during the day. I will let you know

Last edited:
Well, I got my first egg! I'm pretty excited. It is a disgusting muddy mess though, so I'm probably going to crack it and see if it is fertile. Is it normal for them to start laying in random spots before building a nest? These guys are young, a year in April, so I don't expect them to really know what they are doing yet, but I hope they at least know to build a nest. :p

I will try to get better pics. Its voice is weird, one time it sounds like a girl and the next a gander but Im with you im thinking male.

After this mornings incident im hoping male. I turned my birds out to free range like always. Last night someone dropped 4 dogs, it has been many many years since any dogs were dropped in this neighborhood, and i didnt know. After i came back in for breakfast they came and attacked, my brother caught them in the act. Both my toulouse, Tucker & Tori are dead and i lost a chicken. My ducks are fine though and so are Ethel, Stormy and the gosling. Tucker was my only gander this year & him and tori were my original geese. I swear something is trying to tell me to just give up on geese.

The only good thing to come out of today so far is i set my duck eggs i got friday. 11 blue swedish and 13 blue swedish x pekin crosses.
I am so sorry to hear this 8 how awful.
hugs.gif

Well, I got my first egg! I'm pretty excited. It is a disgusting muddy mess though, so I'm probably going to crack it and see if it is fertile. Is it normal for them to start laying in random spots before building a nest? These guys are young, a year in April, so I don't expect them to really know what they are doing yet, but I hope they at least know to build a nest.
tongue.png
Mine really don't build a nest they just push around the shaving and lay in it. This year they have decided laying in the duck house is better than their house. If mine were laying anywhere outside and unprotected I take each egg and place it where you want them to lay. if it's suits them they may take it They like private.

I'm

Oh no I'm sorry to hear.
It's a tragic if a goose is mauled by predators especially feral dogs

Back
Top Bottom