Goslings of 2015 Hatch-a-Long

So I was out gathering eggs this morning when feeding and I found a trio of mini duck eggs. They are slightly bigger than a pigeon egg and smaller than a medium chicken egg. I wonder if they were laid by my micro duck, who grew to be slightly larger than a call duck but is smaller than my other ducks. It makes me itch to fire up my incubator just to see.... but I need more ducks like I need a hole in my head.
th.gif

Im going to try to get them. The guys helper is giving me the run around now. Supposed to get them this evening,if they were telling the truth, turned out to be 3 ganders he wants to give to me. I might pick out the best tufted and rehome the other 2.
At least you'll find them a good home if you don't keep them.

So...as I have previously stated, I read the sticky thread that Pete did on incubating goose eggs. I, like many before me, have a few questions.
First off, the breed of these eggs are thought to be Dewlap African. I am confused about the humidity and temperature levels for incubating in the beginning. From Pete's thread, he had the temperature at the same level as chickens (99.1F) and the humidity between 45 and 55 percent for the eggs he was incubating from Dewlap Toulouse. However, he talks about dry incubating at 20-25% humidity and 99.14F (37.3 deg C in the thread). As I am using a forced air incubator, which conditions should I maintain for successful growth rate?
Also, as I set these Saturday afternoon...what should I be seeing as of today? I don't see any blastocyte cells formed (red dot with veins spidering out), but a few have solid yolks that still move around if I turn the egg while candling. At what point (5 days set?) should I see the blastocyte cell formed?
Thank you in advance for any guidance or advice.
-Dave

So...as I have previously stated, I read the sticky thread that Pete did on incubating goose eggs. I, like many before me, have a few questions.
First off, the breed of these eggs are thought to be Dewlap African. I am confused about the humidity and temperature levels for incubating in the beginning. From Pete's thread, he had the temperature at the same level as chickens (99.1F) and the humidity between 45 and 55 percent for the eggs he was incubating from Dewlap Toulouse. However, he talks about dry incubating at 20-25% humidity and 99.14F (37.3 deg C in the thread). As I am using a forced air incubator, which conditions should I maintain for successful growth rate?
Also, as I set these Saturday afternoon...what should I be seeing as of today? I don't see any blastocyte cells formed (red dot with veins spidering out), but a few have solid yolks that still move around if I turn the egg while candling. At what point (5 days set?) should I see the blastocyte cell formed?
Thank you in advance for any guidance or advice.
-Dave
I use 99F and 20-25% for incubating.. 60-70% humidity for hatching Don't expect to see development until day 7-10. Personally mine do better if I don't candle them until after day 6.

Back
Top Bottom