Goslings of 2015 Hatch-a-Long

No broody ducks yet and only 2 are laying. Im hoping the other 3 will start. I put in 14 more of their eggs last night. I already have 4 in there, they are due in 10 days.
The baby loved these new duckies, I had them in a box and showed them to her she was wide eyed looking at them. She will be 4 mos old Tuesday. I wanted to take a pic of her with them sitting around her since shes not into grabbing things yet.

Happy happy happy dance !!! My embden started laying again =) and I went over to talk to my neighbor and came home with 16 African eggs omg omg I've been looking locally and it just wasn't in my budget, but he wants to swap for ducklings yay! I'm about to have way to many ducklings I think every duck egg they've laid this season is in the cabinet bator ;) so like two whole racks worth set in three separate hatches.

Number 13 is here this morning. Still waiting on number 14. Hopefully he will be ok and wont need help out. He still has time though.

Thought i had an extra one that was stuck. I dont toss eggs that make it to lock down until i know for sure they are dead. One i checked had shrink wrapped before internally pipping. This egg had been marked mid way through incubation because i saw something while candling that didnt look right. Best that i can describe is it looked like an extra aircell inside the yolk. It was still alive so i decided to make an air hole.
There were no visable viens left so i broke the membrane, no blood either. Thought it was good to go. Still moving i helped it hatch. It was sadly one that would not have made it to hatch on its own.
Its little face was completely curved, it could have stood on one side of the wall and looked around the corner without using its neck. Its feet were also turned up and to the inside. Although there were no veins or bleeding the yolk had not absorbed either. Almost like a huge hernia. Sadly this baby was not meant to be and he passed away of course. He probably wouldnt have had a good quality of life anyway.
I truely dont believe that this had anything to do with anything other than a defect in the egg itself. Incubation went well the whole time. Humidity was good and so was temp & turning. Couldnt have been genectics either all of my other ducklings are healthy happy babies.
Just goes to show anything can happen when incubating. Even if everything goes well with the equipement & steps involved.

I finally got eggs and my female is currently sitting on a nest of 7 eggs. I'm hoping some of them hatch.

Unfortunately, it seems we have 4 males to our 1 female, so gonna have to rehome some males.

Congrats on all the recent hatches and rebuilding of flocks. I am on standby for our 1st set of goslings, which could be literally any day now. With so many of my geese going broody (7 and counting), I'm getting a little worried about how many babies could hatch this season, since my flock is already at maximum capacity.
hide.gif

Mango is still laying eggs, I hope she gets up to ten. My call ducks and geese will be here in ten days! Bought an XL kiddy-pool and a new heat lamp and bedding for them all to live in.

Back
Top Bottom