Goslings of 2015 Hatch-a-Long

My geese are you gking into lockdown next Monday,and I just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right! I was just wonderinG, do u still continue u mist the eggs? And if so is it more than once a day, and I'm asumning that u stop cooling them down as well?
Thanks in advance! :)

-Reece

Here are a couple more from this afternoon. They see me coming and back inside they go. Probably just as well or I might have them all line up and say cheese.

Sorry for the small size and not so good quality but that is about as close as I am allowed for now and I am not a great photographer to begin with.

Are they Toulouse? And how many do they have ?
Yes, they are Toulouse and so far there are six goslings. That means there are still at least nine eggs still in the nest and Lydia is still sitting the nest while Sting and Pauline do parenting duties. Over the next few days any others that will hatch should do so and then Lydia will have earned a nice vacation. So, I could end up with the six that have hatched all the way up to 15 if it were a 100% hatch rate...which would be pretty rare probably.

Good luck I hope u get a few more :) and I didn't know other geese would look after the goslings ahah! That's so cool!! I have 5 in the incubator, and the last time I looked about 5 days ago I saw them all with veins, they are on day 18 at the minute but it was hard to see much, with such thick shells!!

Last edited:
Good luck I hope u get a few more
smile.png
and I didn't know other geese would look after the goslings ahah! That's so cool!! I have 5 in the incubator, and the last time I looked about 5 days ago I saw them all with veins, they are on day 18 at the minute but it was hard to see much, with such thick shells!!
Geese are amazing. My one male and two females have bonded into a very special kind of family unit. Sting, the gander, is on guard at the door, stays right with the females and any time the babies have come out into the sun is right there to watch and, if I come out, to rush them back inside for safety. Lydia still has eggs in the nest so her responsibilities are pretty much defined by that and she can't do that and take care of active little day old goslings. So, step in to the picture, Aunt Pauline who instinctively has taken on the role of Nanny. I am amazed at all the behavior for protection of little ones and survival of the "family" unit driven strictly by instinct.

My geese are you gking into lockdown next Monday,and I just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right! I was just wonderinG, do u still continue u mist the eggs? And if so is it more than once a day, and I'm asumning that u stop cooling them down as well?
Thanks in advance!
smile.png

-Reece
Reece, while I was allowing natural incubation I am guessing the same comes into play with artificial incubation. One of the things that made the initial hatching easier was that we had a series of storms pass through our region which really raised the humidity levels to 80-90 percent plus all the rain itself. So,I am guessing that you probably need to some way increase humidity prior to hatching. As for cool down my sitter did continue to get off the nest a couple of times a day for water and food so the eggs did cool some. How much and how long I don't know. Somewhere on BYC there is a goose incubation thread I don't recall what is was called but perhaps someone else reading can point you in that direction. Good luck with you hatch.

Geese are amazing. My one male and two females have bonded into a very special kind of family unit. Sting, the gander, is on guard at the door, stays right with the females and any time the babies have come out into the sun is right there to watch and, if I come out, to rush them back inside for safety. Lydia still has eggs in the nest so her responsibilities are pretty much defined by that and she can't do that and take care of active little day old goslings. So, step in to the picture, Aunt Pauline who instinctively has taken on the role of Nanny. I am amazed at all the behavior for protection of little ones and survival of the "family" unit driven strictly by instinct.
I have been through this whole thing with you and can still sit back in awe, they win my respect. They maybe ornery and think we are the enemy but the way they care for their own just amazes me. Like you said natural instinct. And I like to think some love thrown in there too.

Looking forward to when they bring them outside so we can really get a look at them all.

Congratulations.
thumbsup.gif

That's so cool, I'm really looking forward to mine hatching I have 5 in the incubator and from what I last saw they were growing, they are due in another 11 days, they are in day 19 now :) I hope I get at least a goose and a gander!!

Reece, while I was allowing natural incubation I am guessing the same comes into play with artificial incubation. One of the things that made the initial hatching easier was that we had a series of storms pass through our region which really raised the humidity levels to 80-90 percent plus all the rain itself. So,I am guessing that you probably need to some way increase humidity prior to hatching. As for cool down my sitter did continue to get off the nest a couple of times a day for water and food so the eggs did cool some. How much and how long I don't know. Somewhere on BYC there is a goose incubation thread I don't recall what is was called but perhaps someone else reading can point you in that direction. Good luck with you hatch.
ok Thanks :), I read that thread it was called hatching geese 101 and they rcomended 30% humidity until lockdown then up to 70% , just wasn't sure if I should contune to spray them as well?

Back
Top Bottom