Goslings of 2015 Hatch-a-Long

Mominoz, be careful of any bucket you put in with the goose, a couple of years ago we had a tall bucket for water and we went out and found the goose had put the babies in the bucket of water, thank goodness we got them out in time. After that we used a small kittie litter pan and put bricks in it. It was deep enough for the adults to dunk thier heads in and get a drink but then the little ones had the bricks to climb on.

Chickenflicker, wow, thanks. I didn't think about mom putting babies in,.....but they put rocks and twigs in, why not babies! I have had some ducks drown accidently in buckets when half grown, until I put a rock in the bucket so they can get out. I thought about a pan.... I have a wire ramp, but it is chilly here at night and was afraid they'd get too wet. (I have only brooded babies inside after incubating the last couple years). But I have 2 Shetlands and a Super African setting and I'd like to let them set and raise....less work for me and hopefully better hatch rate. Going to check them later in the day, grandkids are here and don't want to disturb mom too much as she is setting on the other eggs. Now I need to figure out how to post pics from my Iphone, here....

Mominoz, be careful of any bucket you put in with the goose, a couple of years ago we had a tall bucket for water and we went out and found the goose had put the babies in the bucket of water, thank goodness we got them out in time. After that we used a small kittie litter pan and put bricks in it. It was deep enough for the adults to dunk thier heads in and get a drink but then the little ones had the bricks to climb on.

Chickenflicker, wow, thanks. I didn't think about mom putting babies in,.....but they put rocks and twigs in, why not babies! I have had some ducks drown accidently in buckets when half grown, until I put a rock in the bucket so they can get out. I thought about a pan.... I have a wire ramp, but it is chilly here at night and was afraid they'd get too wet. (I have only brooded babies inside after incubating the last couple years). But I have 2 Shetlands and a Super African setting and I'd like to let them set and raise....less work for me and hopefully better hatch rate. Going to check them later in the day, grandkids are here and don't want to disturb mom too much as she is setting on the other eggs. Now I need to figure out how to post pics from my Iphone, here....
Double thanks from me! My goose just hatched two yesterday and I never even considered that she might put the babies in the kiddie pool. She's had them out and about this morning and then went back to sit on the remaining eggs. As soon as I get home, I will put some bricks in the pool so that they can get in and out.

Last edited:
I've got pips =) a day early too.. now to figure out if they're my brothers or mine... just wait till they hatch and I'll know ;) mine are African and his are embden, but they got mixed up while turning by hand lol doesn't matter I didn't mark them as long as they hatch =)

Back
Top Bottom