Goslings of 2015 Hatch-a-Long

They are all precious do they all get along with each other since it looks like you have different age groups there.

Yes, they all get along nicely, I think I have 4or 5 hatches running around together (mostly ducks) when I feel that they are big enough to be a problem for integrating new hatches into the group I put them into their own breeds enclosure/coop/pasture pen with the adults =) I have a flock of adult geese that babysit during the day and they go in the coop at night.

Yes, they all get along nicely, I think I have 4or 5 hatches running around together (mostly ducks) when I feel that they are big enough to be a problem for integrating new hatches into the group I put them into their own breeds enclosure/coop/pasture pen with the adults =) I have a flock of adult geese that babysit during the day and they go in the coop at night.
How nice for you. My 4 adult geese like no one but themselves.
roll.png

Congrats on everyone's hatches! I may not post much anymore but I do enjoy reading this thread and seeing all of the pictures. Breeding season is winding down at our place and we managed to keep our numbers of new babies pretty low. Our 1st gosling is now almost a month old and is spoiled rotten by his african family. We also now have two more goslings that hatched out during this past week. They are either African or African/Toulouse cross. Very hard to tell at this point, especially since momma is extremely protective and won't let me get a good look at them up close. We still have one dewlap goose that started sitting about a week ago on a large clutch of dewlap eggs and one of my buff dewlaps is trying to build up a 2nd clutch. I would like to add another buff dewlap to my group and otherwise have buyers for all dewlap babies that may hatch, so my fingers are crossed for those girls to have good hatches.

Other than that, we are done with geese hatching. Now the challenge is to keep our ducks from hatching babies. As hard as I try to pull all duck eggs from nests, we have two muscovies sitting on nests that are deep beneath one of our buildings, so I cannot access them. I fully expect them to march off their nests with babies in the near future. Luckily, I also have buyers for their babies too.

Hopefully, we will be ready to separate our top breeders for 2016 and look forward to hatching white Africans and more buff dewlaps next year.

Congrats on everyone's hatches! I may not post much anymore but I do enjoy reading this thread and seeing all of the pictures. Breeding season is winding down at our place and we managed to keep our numbers of new babies pretty low. Our 1st gosling is now almost a month old and is spoiled rotten by his african family. We also now have two more goslings that hatched out during this past week. They are either African or African/Toulouse cross. Very hard to tell at this point, especially since momma is extremely protective and won't let me get a good look at them up close. We still have one dewlap goose that started sitting about a week ago on a large clutch of dewlap eggs and one of my buff dewlaps is trying to build up a 2nd clutch. I would like to add another buff dewlap to my group and otherwise have buyers for all dewlap babies that may hatch, so my fingers are crossed for those girls to have good hatches.

Other than that, we are done with geese hatching. Now the challenge is to keep our ducks from hatching babies. As hard as I try to pull all duck eggs from nests, we have two muscovies sitting on nests that are deep beneath one of our buildings, so I cannot access them. I fully expect them to march off their nests with babies in the near future. Luckily, I also have buyers for their babies too.

Hopefully, we will be ready to separate our top breeders for 2016 and look forward to hatching white Africans and more buff dewlaps next year.
Hi J good to see you stop by, and congrats on your goslings this year. I wish you the best on the brooding ducks though. I had to buy fake ceramic goose eggs for mine to sit on so they wouldn't hatch ducklings. They are very content it's all about the brood here. lol.

How nice for you. My 4 adult geese like no one but themselves.
Yea
:rolleyes:

I got pretty lucky =) and by raising the kids free range they are all getting to see/interact with all the adults thru the fences so when I integrate into the pens there is very little bickering after the initial close up greetings and the drakes checking every new duck out establishing he's the boss and voila happy flock =) I do watch for awhile and make sure he's not to fond of any new hens if he is he gets a timeout ;)

Last edited:
Good to see you both, too! I probably should not have allowed my geese to hatch any non-dewlap babies, but the trio of goslings that have hatched are adorable and it is nice having a few babies on the property. Still hoping my dewlap girl has a good hatch. She's only a week or two into brooding, so it will be a while before I find out if we get any dewlap babies this year. I was worried about my ducks hatching babies, but I got two requests in the last week for ducklings, so not as worried now about them having good hatches. The girls sure do love to brood.

As for Spirit, he is not doing well at the moment. He had fully recovered from his torn knee after 16 weeks of high maintenance care, then suddenly came down with a mysterious illness about a month ago. The illness then migrated to a localized bacterial infection in his ankle. Scott had to insert stints in his ankle and we have had to flush with antibacterial treatment daily. He is finally showing signs of recovering and I am removing stints after final flushing today, but all the months of rehab from his last injury is fairly well down the drain. Scott and I both struggle with continuing the battle as his quality of life overall in the past 6 months is far from ideal, but Spirit still shows his fierce will to live, so we keep trekking on.

The white goose in the last photo is female.
Generally the tails on the females tend to be more level as compared to the males whose tails tend to tip up.
That has been my observation and to date hasn't failed for me in geese that don't autosex by color.

Linda

Back
Top Bottom