Got 20 New Girls That Are About 3 Months From Laying Who Came Down With Something. Not Sure What It Is!

Gabriangel

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2022
Hi, all!

So, a couple of days ago, we picked up 20 new half-grown hens from an area brooder. Everything at her farm seemed nice and clean (as far as chicken coops are concerned) and the "teens" we picked up appeared to be doing just fine. We put them in the back of our pickup topper and headed home (about a 30 minute drive). We took some gravel, and there was a light rain on our way back, but nothing inside the topper got "wet." When we got home, I opened up the back door and thought I heard them cooing. Turns out, the majority were congested, had some nasal discharges, and were sneezing pretty regularly, symptoms which appear to have just developed on the drive home. The next day we put an ounce of Poultry NutriDrench in a 4 gallon waterer and started some VetRX treatments (rubbing their wattles and beaks, applying a bit to their mouth when possible, and spraying a water-RX mix on their chest with a spritzer). They haven't gotten any worse, but they also haven't really gotten any better since we got them. With Avian Influenza on the rise, I'm a little worried about what this might be. They're all eating, drinking, and getting around just fine, but they all have a sneeze (a few worse than others) and a couple are also mouth-breathing and appear to be working a bit to inhale. I've done some looking and it appears that Coryza could be a possible diagnosis, but I'm not seeing the common swelling that's usually associated with that. Some of the hens appear to have a little bit of swelling just above their nostrils, but that's it.

We've never really had to deal with sick chickens before and we're not really sure what else we can do to help them, or what to do if it turns out they have Avian Influenza (the lack of lethargy and signs of being close to death make me think its low-pathogenic if they do have it) or Coryza. Any advice, experience, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you so much!!!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Someone with more knowledge than me will no doubt be along, but do they have any other symptoms at all? Any discharge or bubbles in the eyes? Are they eating and drinking? How is their poop?

Their eyes seem to be totally fine (no bubbles or discharge), they've been eating and drinking like normal, and their poop, as far as I can tell, is also normal and healthy. That's what makes it a little weird (as in, the lack of adverse symptoms). I'll be checking on them again in a bit, and, as of now, just keep doing what we're able to and put the rest in God's hands.

Thank you for reaching out!!

It is probably not Avian Flu or else they would be rapidly getting worse, so that is a good thing. Their is a chance that on the way to their new home, they inhaled something that wasn't good for them. I hope they will recover soon!!!

It is probably not Avian Flu or else they would be rapidly getting worse, so that is a good thing. Their is a chance that on the way to their new home, they inhaled something that wasn't good for them. I hope they will recover soon!!!
That's encouraging to hear! :p I was pretty sure that was the case, but felt a little uneasy with the prospect of having to euthanize if it was Avian Flu. That's definitely possibl. And thank you! I do too. :)

It sounds like it is just a cold. My flock got a little cold back in August. They are all better now. I made sure they always had clean water and I cleaned their waterers once or twice a week using vinegar. I also gave them VetRX and mixed cinnamon, garlic, and turmeric into their feed. Hope this helps!

It sounds like it is just a cold. My flock got a little cold back in August. They are all better now. I made sure they always had clean water and I cleaned their waterers once or twice a week using vinegar. I also gave them VetRX and mixed cinnamon, garlic, and turmeric into their feed. Hope this helps!
Thank you for the info and ideas! That's good to hear Spicing up their feed up a bit is a new one to me! I'll have to check in to that.

Thank you!!

Chickens don’t get colds, but they get respiratory diseases from carriers and some through hatching eggs. Infectious bronchitis and mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) are the 2 most common. One is a virus and the other MG, can respond to antibiotics, such as Tylosin or Tylan. IB last about a month and the chicks most all would get sick, and be carriers for up to a year after. They can have some egg shell problems or reproductive issues in the future. With MG, they would remain carriers for life, and could get sick again during periods of stress. Coryza is more serious with severe symptoms, and it smells rotten.

Sorry that you got sick chickens. The stress of moving them could have brought about symptoms. The breeder may have healthy birds at her place, but she may have one or more carriers that have recovered. You probably paid a lot for started birds. If they will take them back, that would be good. You could get a diagnosis with a necropsy by your state vet on the sickest one or two birds, if you sacrifice them. Or you could close your flock for the life of the birds , and treat them if they get sick. Tylan 50 injectable which most give orally to chickens, is found in some feed stores. Tylosin is found easily at Jedds.com, and it is put into the water.

Back
Top Bottom