Got a Knock on the Door Today...

Iowa Roo Mom

Resistance Is Futile
11 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Keokuk County
Long story short... Someone knocks on our door today at 4:00 PM and says that the city is coming over to do an inspection of the property tomorrow at 9:00 AM.

somad.gif

SERIOUSLY??? Less than 24 hours notice? So I post on Facebook about it, and one of my friends who used to do inspections for another town tells me that it's perfectly normal. Something about making the house is in safe and sanitary conditions, keeping slumlords down, etc. She also informed me that the city is required to give at least 7 days notice, so why am I hearing about it less than 24 hours from when they're going to show up?

somad.gif

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing to hide (except the dirty laundry and the mess) but I feel like this is a total invasion of privacy. I mean, I'm not keen on the idea of someone coming in to this house and poking their big nose in my personal business! Good thing I have Second Amendment rights, because I can GUARANTEE you that the shotgun will be on prominent display.

somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif

I can't even put into words how frickin mad I am right now!!!! UGH!!!!

Last edited:
Seriously? What are they inspecting your yard or the inside of your house? Why would they even think to do this? Id flat freak if someone said they were coming to inspect my house to make sure its sanitary.

...And that's why I live in the country. No one should be able to come in your house and inspect it, unless your house is a danger to someone.

Sounds more like someone casing the joint. Did they have ID? City car? something is not right there. Cities do things sometimes that are voluntary but present it as mandatory, gotta watch em'.

Last edited:
Do not allow anyone into your home! Don't answer your door, or go for a ride. Unless you're in a rental property and the Landlord wants to come in, you do not need to let anyone in unless they have a search warrant...period! If this were legitimate, they would need to give you notice IN WRITING. Whoever mentioned checking the credentials on the person who talked to you is correct. Was it truly an Employee of the City? Again, do not open your door.

Did you call anyone in the city office's for verification of this? I would have the police waiting for when they showed up. I have never heard of the city coming to check your home, sound hinckey to me.

I have never heard of that before?!!
hu.gif
I didn't think it was legal to do such a thing. For no apparent reason either. I'm with you, I'd be fuming!!
somad.gif
Kinda makes you scared to think that anyone can come to your property and do an "inspection" without notice.
barnie.gif

Nothing at all sounds right about the situation.

I'd call the police first, then the City Manager, and refuse to let them in until I had some GOOD answers or a warrant

Granted, I'm in California, so your mileage may vary. I've worked for Law Enforcement agencies for nearly 35 years and there is nothing normal about that situation. NO one can come into your home without your permission, and if you have not given your permission, then there needs to be other exigent circumstances. Landlord with at least 24 hours notice? No, it wasn't that. In Hot Pursuit of a Criminal. Nope, that's not it. In response to a call for help and someone may be in threat of life..... nope, it wasn't that. To investigate a complaint about health & sanitary violations? Where's your copy of the complaint notice with a stated time period for response before inspection? Didn't get one, I suspect.

Call the police and have them present - if possible - when the "inspectors" arrive. Have the police verify the veracity of that story and the "inspectors'" authority, documentation and identity. Then you refuse to let them enter anyway.

Back
Top Bottom