got eggs from a neighbor who has a rooster and they are not fertilized...

chicken egg 405

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2024
i'm new to chicken keeping and decided to get fertilized eggs from my neighbor... i candled them on day 4 and all of them show no signs of life...why? :idunno

oh yes i tested it with a another thermometer ,but i'm starting to think that her roosters are too young they look all grown up but she's hadn't had them for the longest time i could remember,only recently i start seeing them in her yard,also she has too many roosters
like 3 roosters and 7 hens so might as well get eggs somewhere else but,thank u!:)

Last edited:
Day 4 is just the beginning.
You want to candle at a week old.
That’s when you can tell.

Is the rooster is about 6 months or older, it should be ready to reproduce.

Just because you have the sex, doesn’t mean you’re going to get pregnant each time. It’s nature, just slow down and be patient.

I gave my neighbor 6 eggs. None hatched. I don't know if any developed. When I'm looking to see the "bullseye" on eggs, I see it sometimes, not others.

I'm not sure if my rooster (2 years old) is "getting the job done." :confused:

I would ask for a couple of freshly laid eggs and break them open to see if they were fertile or not. Do you know how to recognize the fertile bullseye?

I would ask for a couple of freshly laid eggs and break them open to see if they were fertile or not. Do you know how to recognize the fertile bullseye?
oh l'm so sorry! I just saw this, i do know how to identify the bullseye but, i already disposed them, my neighbor said she'll incubate them herself and see if they'll hatch so i'll keep u updated if her eggs hatch or not, thank u!

oh l'm so sorry! I just saw this, i do know how to identify the bullseye but the eggs started to stink so i disposed them,but my neighbor said she'll incubate them herself and see if they'll hatch so i'll keep u updated if her eggs hatch or not, thank u!
Odds are that with the weather now, he's just not breeding very often.

Back
Top Bottom