Got Goose; now unsure- help!

May 21, 2022
Tennessee
Ok we got a goose yesterday. Unsure breed but we wanted it as a guard goose.

Hubby did some research everything he saw said get one goose; hopefully a male and it will go in with your chickens.

Never having geese or anyone around us that have any, that theory sounds good.

Well goose was fine with our chicks when first brought them home. In fact a chick came home w it in the same box. But a few hours later added the goose w the 3 runner ducks we just got.

Several hours later moved the goose back to the chicks to acclimate them and all that. It started attacking the chicks. It did it 3x last night.

And today it’s done it some. Mainly when they’re a bit closer to it. Except the chick that came home w it. It stands it’s ground and fights the goose. Lol

Which led me to do research and now I’m finding all the major cons that these previous ppl regretted to mention on mixed flocks.

Should we just sell the gosling before we get too attached?

Get another goose at least ??

I do not mind owning some if they’re not a danger. Just read a few threads where they have some psychotic geese that are killing chickens and hurting their own geese. If that’s just a one off thing ok, but if that’s norm please let me know. We have several young children too. Plus neighbor kids that come play; if it’s in risk of attacking I’d like to know.

So pro goose owners; advice? Thoughts?

Also can you tell breed from the pic ??
B94BC433-CB4B-4A28-82E1-11685A8C0387.jpeg
ADFBD527-65C9-46F4-940D-D5954E4F80CB.jpeg

@nuthatched has suggested some great links!

In my experience, geese and chickens probably shouldn't be housed together. I let my geese, runner ducks and chickens mingle freely during the day, but everyone has separate sleeping quarters. The size difference, coupled with the tendency of my geese to want to "herd" everybody and sometimes nip at them isn't good for the smaller birds.

Also, my geese are good at alerting about danger -- there is an eagle nest close by and the geese always sound an alarm when an eagle flies over and/or roosts nearby. BUT, they will not protect anybody or anything from danger. As far as harming people, mine are American Buffs and have no interest in attacking anyone.

I would separate your gosling from the rest of the birds. And, I would either get another gosling to keep it company or rehome your adorable little one. My two geese are so bonded that if they lose sight of one another, they begin calling loudly to find their pal.

Best of luck with finding a workable solution!

My female goose lives with the Runners and Buffs and chickens overnight during the day the Muscovy and other ducks and chickens and goose are out on 1/2 acre property fenced. And they all do great together, but when my gander was still living the geese had their own house. Ganders are very protective of their mates whether they are another goose or a duck they were raised with. I don't know if you have a gander or a goose but from having a gander for almost 15 yrs [yes they live a long time] they cannot be trusted to be around young children unless supervised at all times. They have their more docile times usually from early summer until late winter but they are still protective . They have a really close bond with their mates for life. And if goslings were to come into the picture then you will have him and the females very protective all the way through summer into fall. My goose loves her flock and she will make a lot of racket if anything is off but she was right up against the fence with all of them last week when we have a visit from a hawk. Your gosling is adorable. If you decided not to keep the little one please find it a home where it will be loved and the people who take it a very familar with geese and their personalities so it doesn't keep getting moved around. If you do decide to keep this one please get it a buddy gosling they really do need one of their own.

Last edited:
Geese ALWAYS do better with another of its own kind, so if getting another gosling is an option, do it!

But the reason your gosling is being aggressive is because it is bored. Chinese/African babies (which is what you have) cruise large areas with parents, learning to eat grass, from day 2-3, getting both mental and physical exercise. Try chopping up lettuce and broccoli and dropping into pen every couple of hours. Access to outside grass is ideal.

Geese ALWAYS do better with another of its own kind, so if getting another gosling is an option, do it!

But the reason your gosling is being aggressive is because it is bored. Chinese/African babies (which is what you have) cruise large areas with parents, learning to eat grass, from day 2-3, getting both mental and physical exercise. Try chopping up lettuce and broccoli and dropping into pen every couple of hours. Access to outside grass is ideal.
Thank you all for your helpful comments.

Do they not need heat? It’s about 4-5 days old. We are going to get to almost 70° today and warmer tomorrow so we can put it outside supervised for a bit just don’t want to chill it.

Oh and currently everywhere around us in a 40 mile range or so doesn’t have any goslings now. 🤦🏻‍♀️ TSC had someone buy all they had yesterday.

They can be outside for a bit at that temp, they'll love the access to nibble on everything. I've raised goslings and ducklings together in the same brooder and never had any issues, but wouldn't put them in with chicks. The mess level is totally different and I feel like the flighty personalities of chicks don't mesh well when they're that little.

I hope you mean you'll be with the gosling when it is outside for a short time. I took my goslings out for walks around all my other birds to get them all used to each other. But I never left them alone outside. On a nice warm day in the 70's they can be outside for short trips.
Did you check craig's list or your state forum here? Although it may be too early for reg people [ like us] to have goslings yet. Hatcheries start much earlier.

They can be outside for a bit at that temp, they'll love the access to nibble on everything. I've raised goslings and ducklings together in the same brooder and never had any issues, but wouldn't put them in with chicks. The mess level is totally different and I feel like the flighty personalities of chicks don't mesh well when they're that little.
SO far it's been doing fine with the ducks. Granted earlier I saw it haranguing one of the ducklings till it submitted to it & it then went after another one for a few then quit. lol Almost like it was telling them to all lay down & sleep.

They all spent awhile today outside.

Back
Top Bottom