Got my 1st egg!! but have a problem

NewHopePoultry

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Troy,Missouri
Today my hen, Super Hen laid her first egg(well her 2nd one, the 1st got broke) BUT she has decided she wants to lay her eggs from on top of the A/C unit.
I found a broken egg yesterday, but couldnt figure out how it got broke. Well today I found the answer. I heard the egg laying song and went out to watch and what to I see? Super Hen on top of the A/C unit ( 6 feet off the ground) getting ready to lay an egg. Before I could figure out anything to do, she laid it and it fell down to the ground, but it didnt get broke (It landed in some poo, not on the concert like the other one)
Now I got to figure out how to get her to stop going up there to lay eggs.
She laid a light green egg:

IMG_1056.jpg

Were I you, I would put a golf ball in the nest box and put her into it a couple times so she knows it is there. I've also locked them in the coop for that whole day so that's one of their only options.

Maybe you can put something up on the AC unit that will stop her from wanting to sit up there? Even if it's a piece of cardboard folded to create a point (like an upside down V).

Last edited:
I'd go with the golf ball and keep her in the run for a few days until after she lays before I let her out to range. I had one bo that would lay all over the place,bushes ,other shed and even dropped one behind my air compressor while it was running. I don't know if I was just lucky but it only took about 4 days to retrain her.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom