Got my first egg!

MaLoTu

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
I got my chickens a week before Easter and I just got my first egg ... I think, anyway. I heard tons of commotion coming from the backyard. It sounded like one of my chickens was distressed. Because I couldn't see a chicken from the direction of the noise, I thought that she had hopped over the fence and was stuck in my neighbors yard. However, upon further investigation, she had made a little nest behind a small square of plywood and laid her egg there. I will post a picture later, but it was perfectly little and has a very hard shell.

I am going to make sure there are no places around the yard for them to make nests and lay their eggs. I hope they will learn to use the nesting boxes!

It was cool that I got to see the chicken who laid it, it was the BO I thought might be a rooster! lol.

I just wanted to share and figured it might help anyone who is still waiting for eggs from their Easter chicks.
ETA: picture and what do I do with the eggs? How do I keep them?

Last edited:
First eggs-fun. My serama have started to lay at the unbelievable age of 3 months 6 days. I'm saving the eggs and replacing them with dummy eggs in the hopes the hen goes broody. Maybe an omelet?

You can keep them in an incubator if it is fertilized. If not fertilized, then you can wait 1 month until your hen has bigger eggs that you are allowed to eat. If it is the first egg, then you have to wait. You can start eating your hens eggs on September 7th, 2015.

Congrats! If you're keeping them to eat and not to hatch baby chicks, here's a great forum with lots of great threads to answer your questions like how long they keep, how to store, wash or don't wash, refrigerate or not etc. Fascinating stuff you'll probably want to know for egg safety. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying
You can eat the eggs from day 1! No need to wait unless they were on medication or the egg is otherwise contaminated.

Congrats! If you're keeping them to eat and not to hatch baby chicks, here's a great forum with lots of great threads to answer your questions like how long they keep, how to store, wash or don't wash, refrigerate or not etc. Fascinating stuff you'll probably want to know for egg safety. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying
You can eat the eggs from day 1! No need to wait unless they were on medication or the egg is otherwise contaminated.

Thanks, I was wondering where the forum was for keeping handling eggs. I will check that out since I have never done this before.

Back
Top Bottom