Got My Goslings Today

I understand for sure it is just me. What can I say.
wink.png

[COLOR=000080]The goslings has spraddle leg. You need to get some butcher string or yarn and go right above the bend in the leg and tie the one legs then take the string over to the other leg and make sure there is enough area in between so the gosling can walk natural. It is not hard to do and will only take a few days for the legs to get strong enough to walk again.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000080]I make sure to turn the gosling over on it's back and tie the one leg then take the string over to the other leg because when they are on their back the legs are at a good angle to tie them. But make sure the string is a soft one and has some width so it does not cut into the leg. It is a pretty quick fix for the baby.[/COLOR]

Hey Ruru About how long do you think i should keep the gosling legs tied up? I did it and the first few days he looked alot better, but now I noticed the joint on his right leg looks twisted outward. Im begining to think he's not gonna make it.

Take the tape off and see how well the gosling walks at this point. If not better keep the hobble on for about a week. Then keep checking until the gosling can walk better. Have you been putting either niacin or brewers yeast on the food for the gosling?
It is just so much easier to just feed gamebird or waterfowl grower for the first 3 weeks of the life and then change them over to adult waterfowl feed.
Then you do not have to worry about putting all the supplements on their feed or in their water.

Take the tape off and see how well the gosling walks at this point. If not better keep the hobble on for about a week. Then keep checking until the gosling can walk better. Have you been putting either niacin or brewers yeast on the food for the gosling?
It is just so much easier to just feed gamebird or waterfowl grower for the first 3 weeks of the life and then change them over to adult waterfowl feed.
Then you do not have to worry about putting all the supplements on their feed or in their water.
We took the supports off and allowed him to swim a bunch today. He seems to do fine in the water, and walks pretty well after getting out of the water but shortly afterwards starts having a lot of trouble again. So I guess we'll have to put the strings back on , and keep checking on him. As for the niacin, we bought Game Bird feed and that Quik Chick vitamin supplement we put in the water and their all getting it.

Very good you went and purchased gamebird feed because it is sure a lot easier than having to go out and purchase all the supplements to put in their water. This way everybody will get the vitamins and the proper amount of niacin that they need from the feed. But if you choose you could purchase brewers yeast from a farm store and put that in their feed as well to keep them in great shape....

Got some bad news, we lost our crippled goose. This past saturday 07/20/2013 my eight ducks and four geese were eating in the back yard, along with 3 of my younger hens. Just like every other day over the last three weeks. I told the wife i was running to home depot to get a few things for the house I wasnt even gone an hour. When my daughters dog decided saturday was the day to go on a killing spree. He killed the crippled goose (waddles) bite another two of my younger geese. One has two holes in her head, and several holes in her back, the other goose has one hole in her back. It's a good thing I returned when I did because he was attempting to kill the young goose he had already done the worse damage too. Needless to say he was penned up until his parents rushed here to get him, once they were told what he did. Long story short he and his little sister are NO LONGER allowed here.

For some reason I can not get pictures to upload, But... the two geese Casey & Lacey are doing alot better now. Their backs are healing over pretty well, and the feathers look to be growing back already. The one who had the two puncture holes in her head their still there, but she seems fine. She's eating alot better then the last two days and she even started bathing herself again. Dipping her head under water and washing her back. So i'm thinking that's a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom