Got My New Chicks

Karen711

Chirping
Oct 11, 2015
Sechelt, B.C.
All 7 are in the homemade brooder out of cardboard boxes. Light is hung food & water in. I am hoping it's warm enough. Heat is on in the spare room they are in but temp is showing
at 72 so far. They are about a week old have some feathers. I am dog-gone wiped and heading to bed but will check on them during the nite (if I wake up) I'm not neglecting them am I?? I would be heart broken if I lost one :(

Hi,

This thread may help you out re: ideal temperatures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/759111/brooder-temperature-questions

The best rule of thumb is to observe your chicks - if they are huddled together under the heat source most of the time, then they are cold, and if they avoid the heat source and try to stay far away from it all the time, its too hot. From what i have read, chicks should go to the heat source to warm up a little and then move away from it.

All the best
CT

Hi,

This thread may help you out re: ideal temperatures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/759111/brooder-temperature-questions

The best rule of thumb is to observe your chicks - if they are huddled together under the heat source most of the time, then they are cold, and if they avoid the heat source and try to stay far away from it all the time, its too hot. From what i have read, chicks should go to the heat source to warm up a little and then move away from it.

All the best
CT

That's great thank you:) All is good in my brooder then!!!

Congrats on your new babies!! How exciting! I can imagine how tiring the first day is - getting all set up and checking and rechecking them to make sure they are comfy. Sounds like you are doing a wonderfully diligent job of it! I am getting mine today - so excited! Cheers!

Yes they are all still healthy & happy. I only have 7 but can already feel how addicting it can be. Their coop isnt finished just yet and I'm already
Thinking how much fun it would be to have a big coop with a lot more chickens lol Time to calm down & get the babies I have grown up a bit and into their coop
All happy and content. Looking forward to landscaping around the coop too can hardly stand the waiting!!! Is your coop ready??

Yes they are all still healthy & happy. I only have 7 but can already feel how addicting it can be. Their coop isnt finished just yet and I'm already
Thinking how much fun it would be to have a big coop with a lot more chickens lol Time to calm down & get the babies I have grown up a bit and into their coop
All happy and content. Looking forward to landscaping around the coop too can hardly stand the waiting!!! Is your coop ready??

Ha! I wish :D My hubby and I have just begun the building process. We are going to be using the warm weekends to our advantage to get as much done on it as we can and quickly since my little goobers are already a week old lol. I have an intermediate brooder/pen in the garage for them when they outgrow the little one they're in now, but it won't last long either way! They grow so fast! I am also looking forward to the detailing of the coop and its surroundings. Gonna be so much fun!

Ha! I wish :D My hubby and I have just begun the building process. We are going to be using the warm weekends to our advantage to get as much done on it as we can and quickly since my little goobers are already a week old lol. I have an intermediate brooder/pen in the garage for them when they outgrow the little one they're in now, but it won't last long either way! They grow so fast! I am also looking forward to the detailing of the coop and its surroundings. Gonna be so much fun!

Well I have been wondering what I am going to put them into in another couple weeks they'll have outgrown the homemade cardboard one I made!!! Better start googling n figure out something quick
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png

Haha I just posted about coop-size remorse. I wish mine was twice as big. And what I would give for a grow pen!

We have three seven-week-old chicks in a cardboard box at night but we're keeping them in a partitioned section of our pen during the day. The cardboard box is just too confining.

I kept forgetting to get a thermometer so I brooded these three by "feel" this time. The first time I did it, I did everything by the book and I honestly think I kept them too warm. All four of them ended up with pasty butt and that was no fun. They all survived but it was several days of worry and unpleasant intervention. I learned a lot by watching my broody hens raise chicks I gave them - they marched them outside for short periods when they were just a few days old and then, of course, warmed them up afterwards. So we've tried to do the same thing with these three. At seven weeks old they are spending the entire day outside - of course we are in California where the temperatures are mild, so that helps!

Well I have been wondering what I am going to put them into in another couple weeks they'll have outgrown the homemade cardboard one I made!!! Better start googling n figure out something quick
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png

I don't know if you have a garage or space in a basement or something, but I have a setup with two sets of baby play-yards linked together to make a large pen in my garage. I am going to move the chicks in there once they get too big for their little brooder. Probably only going to be another week or two at most before they get there lol. Here is a pic of what I am using for my garage pen.

Back
Top Bottom