Got our new chickies *updated with pictures and questions*

mkpovak

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Maine
We are just starting and we were having a hard time finding good purebred chickens so we decided to go with some chicken mutts for now while we search some more (my 5yo wants to show them in 4-H eventually so we have time). The guy we bought them from has 100+ chickens a mix of BR, australops, RIR, and BO. His rooster was a RIR/BR cross -- all healthy looking and happy and we wanted a nice colorful flock so it works for now.

I do have a few questions but I need to grab some pictures first. He told us they were 2 weeks old but they look a lot older then the 2 week old chicks I am seeing in other pictures here. We also have one that seems to have a bad leg, and one that is much much younger then the rest (or appears to be). So once I come back with some good pictures tomorrow hopefully I can get some help and advice.

I'm excited to be starting our chicken adventure and my girls are in love with their new pets (still a bit hesitant to hold them but they were willing to pet them today and feed them some treats through the our dog crate turned brooder).

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
and congrats on your new chicks!
Pics will help a lot trying to determine their ages.

Okay back with pictures -- sorry it took a bit it's been a long long day here today.

Not the best lighting as they are in the basement and it was raining so I couldn't bring them outside but hopefully you can see well enough.

4579512904_71448d887e.jpg

This is the chick with the bad leg, but I notice today she is getting along better. She is the first gray one on the right, you can see her left leg kind of bumps out and she kind of swings it funny when she walks.
4579512220_8f38bfe434_o.jpg

And here is another picture of her (the one standing on the feeder) she can't lean down to eat from the feeder or she looses her balance so she stands on the feeder like this to eat.
4578883209_93ebe88ae3_o.jpg

The one he told me is a runt but I am pretty sure is the one who is really 2 weeks old
smile.png

4578883575_51d90749a4.jpg

So do the bigger ones look 2 weeks old? Is the "runt" really just a much younger chick? Is there something I can do to help the chick with the bad leg or should I just leave it be as she seems to be figuring it out on her own?

Hmmm...they certainly look bigger and more developed than my 11 day old chicks, especially looking at the first photo. I'm no expert though...

Mine are just now beginning to get the feathers on top. Most of them have decent sized wing feathers now but not a lot going on along their backs. I don't think mine will be quite that feathered out in only a few more days.

Which one do you think is the rooster? I actually suspect there are three roosters in the group. One of the gray ones (with the gray chest) and the black larger speckled one both make a slightly different noise and have been trying to fight each other (flying at each other with their legs up in the style I used to watch the roosters on the farm go at it).

Quote:
3rd. pic, top left...Don't be surprised when you see all of them tussling and chest bumping. It's just one of the things they do as they are sorting out the pecking order.

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
3rd. pic, top left...Don't be surprised when you see all of them tussling and chest bumping. It's just one of the things they do as they are sorting out the pecking order.

welcome-byc.gif

Oh good he was the one I had pegged as a rooster and I used him to compare to the larger ones and looking at leg size and the way their combs are coming in it looks like we have 4 possibly 5 roos. So as soon as we know for sure they are roos we will find them new homes.

Back
Top Bottom