Got Quail Yesterday

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
Hello all!

I just got some Tuxedo, Cinnamon and Wild-Type quail yesterday and want to be sure I'm doing the best I can for them. They had never been off of wire which is completely normal, but I didn't have any pens like that so I put them inside of an exhibition pen for LF with pine shavings and of course, they started dust bathing immediately. They have water and for now, all I can find is 22% quail grower. I am supplementing with catfish food. The previous breeder had them on 30% gamebird feed but I haven't been able to find it just yet. Will the 22% cause issues for now? Can I keep them on this? Got 3 eggs yesterday and ate them today. My Lord. They were the creamiest eggs I have EVER had. I look forward to breeding a bigger bird that will produce larger eggs and more meat!

These are young birds, barely 5 weeks old, but stil a handful. They are fairly calm which just surprises the crap outta me.

They haven't even attempted to escape. They're just happy to sit in the pen and chillax while I do stuff around them and int he pen.

Many people keep their quail on shavings, and it works great. Just make sure to pay careful attention to their toes to make sure they are not getting a buildup of droppings on their toes.

The 22% should be ok. I prefer a little higher percentage, but that is a personal choice. I use a 28%. You can suppliment this with their own eggs. Just hard boil them and crush them up, shell and all. My birds love hard boiled eggs, and this helps them with protein and calcium.

Is it OK to give the Chicken eggs? I love their eggs to much to share.
fl.gif

Would supplementing with the catfish food be OK? It's about 30% protein and small enough for them to eat.

I have heard of people using catfish food with success, if you mix it 50/50 that will give you 26% protein which is a nice number for 6 week or older birds.

And chicken eggs are fine to use too, just be sure they are well done so the shells are sterilized and the yolks aren't raw.

Cheers,
Jessie

Back
Top Bottom