Got sand? You should!

Pics
We are getting MORE "washed sand" today but I am wondering what is the difference between washed sand as opposed to fill sand? Is one better than the other? I am VERY pleased with the washed sand that I have been using for months but was wondering is fill sand any different and how will the chickens like it? Is the absorption the same?

Anyone use fill sand? Which is better to use?

perchie.girl :

Quote:
people who complain about dusty sand are not getting washed sand....

So, is it safe to say that I should stick to washed sand as I already have?​

perchie.girl :

Quote:
So, is it safe to say that I should stick to washed sand as I already have?

LOL.... yep.​

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Ok. Thank you!
thumbsup.gif

lau.gif

Huh, my yard is all sand, so I guess I'm already there! We even have the fine sugar sand that drains really well. I put leaves down, but the chickens push them all aside to get to the sand.

Hi friends,

I have a kind of Silly issue regarding my SF Roo .

After reading all the great points about using sand yesterday, I decided to rake up ALL the pine shavings where I house my chickens and ducks ( who have a pool on their side of the house surrounded by river rock for

drainage ) , and bought, online from Lowes , .( 25 ) 50 lb bags for approx 220 sq ft of space..( BTW...it was just regular sand box sand on sale for $2.00 / bag.. I bought it then just drove right up and they loaded it for me....no

hassle of walking all over looking for it, then finding an employee

to load it on a wagon, then go and possibly have to stand in line at the FARTHEST line from where you parked, then pay for it, and

finally..having it loaded ).. .!!

But I digress..LOL

My son and I laid the sand down and ALL my girls LOVE to scratch the scratch grains and DE I sprinkled all over the sand. !!

Even my silly, adorable WC Black Polish boy loves it..

However, my Salmon Favorelle boy either hates it or it bothers his furry little feet, I dont know what the issue is. He WILL NOT walk on it..

We have to Carry him into his coop at bedtime!!

My question is : has Anyone else have this issue of having either their boy or hen,.???

Anyone have suggestions on how I can help him thru this issue?

Thanks all

ladychicken&Ducklover :

Hi friends,

After reading all the great points about using sand yesterday, I decided to rake up ALL the pine shavings where I house my chickens and ducks ( who have a pool on their side of the house surrounded by river rock for

drainage ) , and bought, online from Lowes , .( 25 ) 50 lb bags for approx 220 sq ft of space..( BTW...it was just regular sand box sand on sale for $2.00 / bag.. I bought it then just drove right up and they loaded it for me....no

to load it on a wagon, then go and possibly have to stand in line at the FARTHEST line from where you parked, then pay for it, and

But I digress..LOL

My son and I laid the sand down and ALL my girls LOVE to scratch the scratch grains and DE I sprinkled all over the sand. !!

However, my Salmon Favorelle boy either hates it or it bothers his furry little feet, I dont know what the issue is. He WILL NOT walk on it..

My question is : has Anyone else have this issue of having either their boy or hen,.???

Thanks all

Iwould use some of his favorite treat, put some down in the sand and put him in front of it gently. He may move for a treat and forget he is on the sand.​

ladychicken&Ducklover :

Hi friends,

But I digress..LOL

Thanks all

When we first put the sand in, NONE of ours would walk on it. It was like it was hot coals. They would step on the side of the waterer, and then skip over to the top of the feeder, onto the shelf in front of the nests, etc-anything to not touch that evil sand. Luckily we have a small coop with quite a few 'stepping stones" in it. After a day or so they were finally walking on it.​

Back
Top Bottom