Got sand? You should!

Pics
yuckyuck.gif

lau.gif
LOL

Newbie here. I greatly appreciate the information provided on these forums and this particular topic was of great interest to me. I've had my chickens for nearly two weeks now. The first night, I did not have anything in their coup but the bare floor. They immediately roosted on the wooden closet rod dowel that I had provided for them and I thought they were happy. The next evening, I had installed the sand on the floor of their coup and they have since not used the roost. They simply sit in the sand.

Is this common?

Otherwise, I like the sand as it is easy to use a kitty litter scoop to clean it out and promptly put in the compost.

I started with two Buff Orpingtons (one layer and one pullet) and one sexlink (laying). I acquired another sexlink (layer) today and she also sits in the sand. I had put a "poop board" under the roost and after the first night, it stays clean.

Seems unusual to me for them to lay in the sand, but if they're happy, life is good!
I read some where, maybe on here to put some sand ON the roost and that way it cleans off easier as well. But they might use it with the sand ON it. Just an idea. ???

Well we ALSO went with sand and so far so good but I haven't scooped poop yet.
lau.gif
Just found me a poop scooper at the dollar store and am going to attach a handle to it. The chicks seem to love it.

I am still a newby, but have used sand in the short months that I have had my four hens. I haven't had any issues other than finding the best litter scoop. I try to clean their coop daily, but recently took a week long vacation where our caregiver kept the hens fed and the eggs collected, but did not clean the sand. I was very pleased with the state of the coop when I returned, but I did throw a little more sand in before I left to help absorb moisture from the poop.

2 or 3 minutes a day or every other day are all I spend in cleaning their coop. No flies in side so far. I am very pleased with the result. The scoop I use does well in getting the large chunks, and I plan on using a smaller screen for the finer particles as I haven't located a scoop with a screen with which I am satisfied.

I have only used hay or straw in the run, and it seems to do well for me. My chickens' run is somewhat mobile and I plan on moving it around a bit so as not to totally kill my yard in one spot. I don't plan on using sand in the run as the hens don't spend much time there. I remove the old straw every couple of weeks and throw in some fresh in piles and let them distribute as they are so capable.

What have you guys found that will actually scoop the poop out with? I found a dog scooper do dad and put it on a broom handle but it's too flimsy and I can only scoop it up with the very corner of it.
barnie.gif

I do like the sand though just NEED something heavier duty to scoop it up with. The sand is heavy and the plastic bends. :(

What have you guys found that will actually scoop the poop out with? I found a dog scooper do dad and put it on a broom handle but it's too flimsy and I can only scoop it up with the very corner of it.
barnie.gif
I do like the sand though just NEED something heavier duty to scoop it up with. The sand is heavy and the plastic bends. :(
I found a heavy duty square strainer used for deep frying at a kitchen supply store. Mesh is small and handle sturdy but a little short. I saw a window screen attached to a wooden frame supported by hardware cloth on someone's coop page. They would just shovel and sift. That seemed better for a bi monthly clean out though rather than daily maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom