Got sand? You should!

Pics
Well the warning wasn't for those of you in the souther part of our country. I certainly would have liked to see a warning that sand would have froze my roosters feet off. I'm hoping that my one legged rooster will regain his luster and fertilize eggs so I can butcher my roosters. He seems to have gotten his attitude back and has made efforts so I think it's just a matter of time.

Sorry about your rooster!! I hope he gets his groove back.

I was told 6" over a plywood floor, seems to work well. Be sure to get washed sand and not sandbox sand as it is too fine. I had mine delivered, bought 7 tons and that was enough for two 10X10 coops.

So sorry about your rooster, I would not have thought about sand freezing. I will know now if we ever get a real crazy cold spell I will put a brooder lamp in there to take the chill off the sand. My worry is always the opposite , how hot it gets here and how to keep them cool.

Unfortunately it was all three of my roosters. :( My best off is one with the peg leg. One has lost a foot and his toes. Another will lose half of his foot and his other foot. Will send them to freezer camp soon. Again hoping I can hatch a replacement.

Sorry for the double post but had to tell this story. It's sad and a bit humorous. My wife doesn't get into the chickens much but will collect eggs now and again. I told her about the frostbite, but I don't think she was really aware how bad it was. It's very apparent where dead tissue was and what will fall off. One day at work she almost stepped on a black foot in the chicken coop. Lol. Like I said funny but also sad. On the bright side he gets around better now that it's off

Oh wow...sorry about your rooster :(
I think mine are a little spoiled right now...still trying to figure out how I want things... they are all still ducklings and chicks... i have two heat lamps and the eden pure heater in here now with only a low of 40 its only 65 in coop but much warmer under lamps.... and because I have ducks also I'm not planning on doing the whole coop in sand...just around food and water under nest boxes and poop board...like I said still trying to figure it out how I want everything :/ lol

I was told 6" over a plywood floor, seems to work well. Be sure to get washed sand and not sandbox sand as it is too fine. I had mine delivered, bought 7 tons and that was enough for two 10X10 coops.

Thanks for the reply i did get fill sand (not the fine stuff) had 5 tons delivered its currently under a tarp hopefully drying some... while we finish work on coop :)

Could someone tell me if this would be good for ducks? My ducklings are almost ready for the great outdoors but I'm looking for a way to cut down on mud

Thanks for the reply i did get fill sand (not the fine stuff) had 5 tons delivered its currently under a tarp hopefully drying some... while we finish work on coop :)
Good luck with your coop, I think you will be pleased with the sand. We clean with a horse manure rake covered in a piece of metal cloth so you can sift and only the chicken manure stays on the rake. Great for composting!

Could someone tell me if this would be good for ducks? My ducklings are almost ready for the great outdoors but I'm looking for a way to cut down on mud
I don't have ducks but I am sure someone out there can tell you. It may depend on where you live. I couldn't have sand in my chicken's run because of how hot it would get in the summer. If you don't have that problem I can't think of a reason it wouldn't help with the muddy areas. Again I don't have ducks. :)

Back
Top Bottom