Got sand? You should!

Pics
There's nothing cozy about sand in a nesting box. Its called a "nesting" box for a reason. I think it would be more kind and make more sense to not....I use wood shavings. Its 100% natural animal bedding, adds warmth and is dust free.

What about colored play sand used for kids outdoor sandboxes? Has anyone heard/tried it? Crayola makes kid safe outdoor play sand, would it be safe for chickens?

Last edited:
Does it make a difference what type of sand you use? River sand, all-purpose? About how much do you need per square foot?

you mean you actually go in the coop and use a kitty litter scoop to clean up chicken poop? this is something i will not be doing.
I feel the same way. I'm not scooping poop of any kind off the ground. That is why we have insects and flies .they take care of the rest of the process of decomp.

Building a coop & covered run in Central Coast CA so rain Jan/Feb. Weighing pros and cons of sand vs DL with pine shavings/leaves, etc. Was going to enclose under the coop as well. Would cleaning be difficult under there? Have silkies, wyandottes and cochins. Any recommendations greatly appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6410.JPG
    IMG_6410.JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 6
Would either of these work in the run? Thinking of just leaving the coop with pine shavings to be warm and comfy and putting vinyl flooring we have already down so we can wipe it clean. And having sand for the run to keep the mud down. especially with a messy duck. That was the issue w our last coop (very small commercially manufactured. Absolutely sucked) it completely got rid of the grass and flooded BAD all the time. Luckily the girls were always roaming around. But I don’t want the muddy mess and we’re actually going to have a big run you can walk in this time.

Attachments

• F63A5A6D-3BA3-4D18-9FD1-E9889C574D29.png
    F63A5A6D-3BA3-4D18-9FD1-E9889C574D29.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 36B4BB8C-9EBE-43A8-8A06-1AA9122403BE.png
    36B4BB8C-9EBE-43A8-8A06-1AA9122403BE.png
    2 MB · Views: 17
i will never go back to sand after using straw over chips on dirt. no dust no smell and no mud n no poop boards n nice n warm in winter. n easy to maintain few times a yr. 40# compressed bale cost $12 at runnings lasts a yr.. if ya dont know farmers.

Im thinking of sand in the coop for the floor....I wish we could make a POLL of some sort. Just out of interest I wonder how that would turn out? 2 categories: sand or bedding on coop floor and sand or..something else in run. This is all so...uh...involved I guess is the word. How did chickens survive back in the day when they slept in the barn and my granny threw out scratch in the morning?!? Im worried about drafts, condensation, DE, vaccinations, appropriate feed, predator control...Im turning gray as I write!
Hey, there, ER2010!
I'm also in N ID (Blanchard Area) and am curious regarding your sand-or-not decision, based on freezing temps . . we've had several days of minus 15 last month!

Back
Top Bottom