Got sand? You should!

Pics
I tried to read as many pages as I can but I'm convinced I should use sand for both inside and on the run.
Question: on the run, what do I do on the bottom before I pour the sand in? It's currently dirt.
Thanks.

In our run we placed 6 inches of sand over dirt - the area was dug down to accommodate 6x6 treated lumber foundation, so the sand comes up to the top of the foundation wood.

Our coop is raised with a wood floor, and we keep about 4-6 inches of sand there.

We also have sand in the nest boxes - keep about 2 inches deep there. We tried pine shavings and shredded paper, but the gals kept eating those and seem to like the sand better.

Be sure to read threads on PDZ, It is a great help in areas that get damp -

Would doing a sand coop be safe for ducks as well? Could they eat it and cause problems? I heard both that its awesome and that is can cause issues if chickens/ducks eat it

Quote: Can you answer this for me: I have always ruled out having ducks because I have thought that the poo is liquid and no way would it be manageable in my sand coops.

Will the liquid poos just get covered over with sand like the chicken poos? Then easy to scoop out?

If you have a metal waterer and they can't knock it over will they still make a watery mess in the coop by slinging water everywhere?

Just curious as I have been thinking maybe to get a duck hen (whatever you call a female duck LOL I am ignorant about ducks) or two one day. Not drakes since they would be with my chickens.

Last edited:
So many good ideas here. After reading nearly the entire thread I'm sold on it. Will be using sand in the coop. Nothing to share other than a quick thank you to all. This forum has opened my eyes to many things.

Back
Top Bottom