Got sand? You should!

How deep do you keep it? For my 8X16 coop I think it would take about 3000 lbs of sand to have it 3 inches deep. Am I wrong about this?

Also, the shavings you would get from your wood shop are a lot different than the wood chips that I buy from Tractor Supply.

Last edited:
Quote:
The feed store by me sells large bales of the large dimension shavings in either pine or aspen for horse stalls and that's what I use, a lot cheaper than the shavings they sell for small animal bedding too. My coop is pretty sturdy but I wonder if the floor would hold up to that much sand. I do plan on adding some sand to the run though.

Like someone else said, I love the shavings mixed with manure for the compost pile. I have always had a big garden and never could keep big enough compost piles going till I got chickens. Actually the garden is one of the reasons I started raising chickens again.
I have a 3 bin compost system, my middle bin is 6X6X4 high and it's running about 155 degrees now even though ambient temperature has been between single digits and freezing. Love that chicken p..p.

Quote:
I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT. DO NOT MAKE UP LIES! I USE PINE SHAVINGS,NOT SAND!!
rant.gif
somad.gif
tongue.gif

I am very interested in this. Since my vinyl tiles lifted over the winter, I think I will give the sand a try. The floor under the tiles is sealed pressure treat so I may just reseal put down sheet vinyl and try sand. We threw in a bale of hay 2 weeks ago and the girls love it more than the chips. They build nests that actually hold shape. So we may make a small bedding area. Sounds like yet another spring project--thanks! As for the composting issue, in our area sand isn't a bad thing to add to the soil.

Quote:
You paid how much for half a yard????
ep.gif
WOW !!!!!

What kind of sand did you purchase? I purchased 3 yards of "washed sand" and only paid $20.00. And I just called and placed an order for 2 more yards of sand for my coops and runs and I will be paying on $12.00.

lol...No..I was wrong it was $12...I asked my hubby as he was the one who actually got it! it was $24 for a yard!

Quote:
I only have 8 hens and the majority of the poop in right under the roost and it takes 5 min to clean it up with a kitty littler scoop...I could easily do it another way but this is extremley fast and easy plus the poop sits right on top no big deal. For me it works perfectly. I hated the shavings and so did my sister...that is us...we both wouldn't go back to shavings, did it for 3 years and no thank you..messy wastes a lot of shavings...and when wet it smells. With sand you get none of that!

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a 8x10 coop...I lined the bottom with 2 layers of heavy duty plastic the kind that come in a big roll. MAde a lip about 3 inches all the way around the wall and stapled it. It took one or two truck fulls but I believe it was one (could be wrong) and shoveled it in. Fairly quick to do..I did it myself. It would take a lot of shavings and then as you remove the shavings you will have to replace it....with sand you are actually removing very little of it. It has been just shy of a year since I switched to sand and I really don't need to add anymore sand. The only area I may want to add some fresh sand to is under the roosts. I have a ladder type roost system. Since I still haven't added sand in the run when I do that this spring I will throw a few shovel fulls back there but that is it. I also add a little lime under the roosts in summer to sweeten it. We have very hot humid summers and though the sand greatly cuts down on the ammonia smell you still get some when it gets really humid and you don't get out there to clean it. If you haven't already do a search on here about it. There was a great post on here some while back and after reading it I knew I had to try it out in the new coop!
smile.png

Quote:
Sand is good for certain soil types helping drainage, but sand and clay makes concrete.

Ive been saving my money to have the driveway paved. Now I'll just throw chicken poo and clay out there. That will really impress the neighbors! We tend to have some wet areas, no clay seriously. So it would work for me.

Zac's Flock :

I personally use wood shavings in my coop (large dog kennel) which works great for my silkies. Does the sand wash away in heavy rain if the run is on a slope?

Well my peacock aviary (which is a VERY large area that has sand) is not on a slope, so I'm not sure if heavy rain will wash it away. However, my peacock aviary run is on a flat surface that is not covered. We had about 2 weeks of rain and I have not seen a difference in the sand as far as the sand washing away. Doesn't look like anything washed away so far. The measurements are 28 feet long - 10 feet wide - 8 feet tall, so I have a LOT of sand in there. Here are pics below of the aviary and the sand in it.

6612_aviary_7.jpg

6612_aviary_5.jpg

6612_aviary_2.jpg

6612_aviary_1.jpg

Because the sand has worked so well for me in the peacock avairy, I will be putting sand in my chicken stalls where the roosts are. I have a different type of set up then most because I have 150 chickens. My chickens do not roost in the same area that they lay their eggs. I have a large chicken house where the girls go to lay their eggs and I have about 11 chicken locations where all them go to roost at night and hang out during the day for naps or just relaxing. These areas are where all the droppings are. They have their choice of which chicken stall or coop that they want to roost in at night. Anyway, here are pics of where the sand will be placed.

6612_byc_buff.jpg

6612_byc_close_view.jpg

6612_feeding_area.jpg

Back
Top Bottom