Got sand? You should!

Pics
Quote:
You're quite welcome. I did not invent sand, or it's use in the hen house, I have been quite happy with it though. Proponents of wood shavings will argue, but for a small hen house sand can't be beat.

OK, it's after midnight here and (forgive me but) I haven't read through all 17 pages. What I'm hearing is sand in the coop and the pen/run also?... or sand in the coop and wood chips in the run/pen?

I will read through ALL of this tomorrow... I promise... I'm sure it is FULL of lots of good info.

mmaddie's mom :

OK, it's after midnight here and (forgive me but) I haven't read through all 17 pages. What I'm hearing is sand in the coop and the pen/run also?... or sand in the coop and wood chips in the run/pen?

I will read through ALL of this tomorrow... I promise... I'm sure it is FULL of lots of good info.

If I were to use wood chips, it would be in the run/yard where cleanup is completely optional. I would use sand in the house/coop where, I believe, cleanup is required. I have a small house, 11 birds, and a well drained hillside yard/run. Other situations may require other procedures. Once you read the 17 pages you will see that opinions vary widely. One constant is, those that have actually used sand like it. Most (all) that have a strong opinion against sand haven't actually tried it. To date I've not seen a single post from someone that tried sand and didn't like it. Maybe tomorrow.​

When I added the 2 yards of sand it was for the muddy run. I use deep litter method with woodshavings in the coop mainly because I want the extra compost every year for the garden. My coop has very good ventilation so it does not smell and is very dry inside.

We have gotten some heavy rain and the eggs are not muddy anymore and the chickens seem to like it.

I'm very happy with my setup right now.

When we move, I'm definitely gonna think about sand in my coop.

I'll have to build a better floor in my next coop. Right now I have OSB flooring, so I really don't want to put that much sand on top.

I use shavings now and it's working out great!

I keep it all dry with Sweet PDZ and some DE, so it doesn't stink.

And I don't really have to rake anything out since I am doing a deep litter method... so I just keep adding on top.

But I can see some Zen benefits using sand.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Do you still use nothing on the floor? I'm about to put my chickens in the coop from the brooder. I'm trying to decide what to use. I've decided it's either wood shavings, sand, or nothing. I like the idea of just scraping the floor. I plan on have a poo board under the roost so that should take care of most of the poo, just scrape it into a bucket and done. How do you like nothing on the floor?

Quote:
If I were to use wood chips, it would be in the run/yard where cleanup is completely optional. I would use sand in the house/coop where, I believe, cleanup is required. I have a small house, 11 birds, and a well drained hillside yard/run. Other situations may require other procedures. Once you read the 17 pages you will see that opinions vary widely. One constant is, those that have actually used sand like it. Most (all) that have a strong opinion against sand haven't actually tried it. To date I've not seen a single post from someone that tried sand and didn't like it. Maybe tomorrow.

OK... it's morning and read the ENTIRE 17 pages! phew....
th.gif

I am thinking sand in the coop/house for sure but am still vacillating between sand or wood chips in the pen/run. If the pen/run is not covered which would be best (thinking the frozen solid sand arguement)?

"Good stuff, Maynard!"
thumbsup.gif

Oh... and LOVE the Zen aspect!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom