Got sand? You should!

Pics
Quote:
Ok, I've read all 17 pages and I'm glad I came across this thread. We just finished our coop and I just couldn't decide on what to use on the floor. I've decided sand is the way to go. It's used for cats why not chickens. I'm also using a poo board under the roost so that should even cut down more time cleaning. I don't compost for gardening so why use the other. It's worth a try and I can always switch if I decide I don't like it. Thanks alot for the info.

I'd just use sand for all of it. The freezing issue has more to do with moisture than what the moisture is on. I've had piles of wood shavings freeze solid when they were wet. Sand will freeze solid if it is wet. If you decide to clean the run, sand would be easier. My run is about 20 x 20, and I only clean it twice a year to rake out the pine needles that accumulate naturally. I never clean the run for poo as it seems to disipate on it's own.

thank you for the sand information, we are new to new chicks and have been using straw, which is causing me allergies like you wouldn't believe. So when we finally move our chicks to our coop, I'll be using sand.

well I am now torn, sand seems like the way to go, but we have clay soil, don't want "concrete" in the end. we are looking forward to the chicken droppings for our compost. one person I know uses dried corncobs, but I think that might get expensive. hmmmm

Quote:
Our soil is VERY clay-laden too and our run is sand. Wouldn't have it any other way. The drainage is fantastic and it keeps the smells down amazingly well on its own. I do use a kitty litter scoop in the run once a day (b/c I'm a total neat freak) but it's true that the rest of the droppings disappear on their own. If we ever decided to move the coop and till the sand into the soil, that would be some seriously PRIME gardening space!

After a winter like the one we just endured here in the Northeast, the sand did get compacted a little bit in certain places that got wet but we just dug in with a shovel in a few spots and the hens worked the sand the rest of the way for us!

Highly recommend sand in the run!

Will any type of sand work? I can get the sand for mortar fairly easy. Sand for play boxes is a little more expensive. River sand is available by the truck load which may be too much for my needs. Our coop is 8x16 and I am currently using straw and a rake.

Quote:
Mason sand is probably too fine for this use. We use construction grade or washed sand. You may be surprised at how much you will use.

I didn't know there were different types! We used play sand but our run is smaller than yours. Didn't cost too much, though.

Last edited:
I may start picking up a few bags at a time to see how it works. Eventually I should cove the majority of the area with the sand. Until then, the girls seem to enjoy laying on the straw and soaking up the sunshine like teenagers laying out at the beach. Can't wait to see them in the sand. Maybe a volley ball net and a nerf ball for them to use if they get bored!

Back
Top Bottom