Got sand? You should!

Pics
Quote:
If you have a basic level foundation you'll be fine as sand "seeks" its own level. Plus you're gonna lose some every time you clean up.

You need a curb of some sort around your run to keep the sand in. The board at the bottom of the run fence should work OK, if the gap at the bottom isn't too large (use a bit of landscape fabric maybe to keep the sand in and let the water through?). As long as your system doesn't hold too much water, your sand will mostly stay put. If it doesn't drain well, you might get some runoff overflow.

Last edited:
I love this site. I would have never have thought about sand. It would probably keep the wood cleaner inside as well. Another wonderful idea that will come in handy! Thanks all.

Quote:
Carrie Lynn, I am also in SE Michigan, and my 4 hens were outside every day this winter in their sand-filled covered run. I had no issues with freezing sand, even though twice I had to shovel snow out of the run. I use shavings in the house, but my birds rarely choose to be in there unless sleeping or laying.

I'm liking the sand idea more and more. plus the chips are expensive. I have been using Duraliner's for coop floors up to now with chips. I think I will fill one with sand and see how it goes. the ducks are super messy so it may cut down on the majority of cleaning time?

I put sand in the main part of the chicken coop ( I am new to chickens) and spread hay over the rest that will evenutally be closed off to them when I can get someone to build me a wall. Thanks for the great tip!

I am so excited!! The chicks are still under a light for another month, but the coop is finished!! Now, we have a beautiful sand run thanks to you folks!!

I am wondering about putting something under the 8 foot-long roost inside the coop - - a poop catcher, like so many have used. I would love to hear from people who have put a sand-filled poop catcher under their roost. We think it is a great idea, but not sure how to attach it. It needs to "swing", not be rigid to discourage hens from trying to roost on the poop catcher itself.

If this is too far off-topic, would you please reply to me at my coop thread. We are racking our brains for this one.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6511039#p6511039

Quote:
I have seen an old fashioned oil pan you put down in the garage to catch drips from the car used as a poop tray.... filled with SAND. Walmart also has boot trays in the Door matt department. These are made of heavy duty black plastic. Deep enough for sand. Then there is the No sand one that is intriguing me.... a Poop Hammock, made of shade cloth. Hooks on each of the four ends unhook and remove to compost pile and the occasional blast with the hose.

Last edited:
I've seen this answered before but now I can't find it. If you have sand in your run did you line your run with anything before putting it down? I'm thinking if we ever move the coop we'll never be able to get all the sand removed!

Quote:
I finally put sand in my brooders as well, and I am LUVIN' IT! I can clean all the brooders in a fraction of the time they used to take, water spills no longer cause a problem by spoiling spilled feed if I can't get to it immediately, a little Stall Dry stirred in dries out such spills pronto, and the feeder and waterer don't end up full of shavings even if I leave them on the brooder floor for newbies. I also switched to heated kennel pads under the sand instead of brooder lights, and the chicks seem much happier. They love to nestle their tummies down into the sand wherever it feels best, and that is now a larger area with a wider temp gradient. All around, this is a win-win for me. I've been using sand in coops and runs for a while, so I really don't know what took me so long to make this switch, but I'm sure glad I did.

Back
Top Bottom