Got sand? You should!

Pics
Just found this thread after buying a "bale" of shavings for the coop so I am going to use up the shavings in the coop until it is used up then convert the coop into a sand floor. My run is bare in that I have grass in it and like the idea that the hens scratch there and get something to eat. I have had the hens for less than a week thus far so this may be subject to change as well.

A very informative thread and thanks to all the posters for their generous input and helpful knowledge.

Anyone have any problems with sand in the run never drying out??? Mine is constantly damp. Mind you we have had a lot of rain lately but even in the summer it remained damp. I have a concrete base that had grooves in it for drainage. Any suggestions??

I'm a newbie with 5 week chicks who are just now transitioning to their coop (days outside, nights in brooder). I read all the advice on these boards and went with pea gravel on dirt floor covered with river sand. Put straw in the nests (which they are not yet using). My chicks LOVE the sand. The pea gravel is mixing in nicely. I might put a couple more bags of sand to get just the right gravel/ sand bakance today. I pondered and pondered what I should do about flooring and so far I'm really glad I followed advice of this thread and went with sand!

happima,

I did not put gravel under my sand and it seems it could become a problem. If you plan to use a kitty litter scoop to periodically clean the sand as I do, you will be scooping up gravel also.

As my new 'coop' (converted 8x16 3-sided shelter open up the walls to 3' on 2 sides, solid on 3rd side) is right in the middle of the main drainage path for my yard and the entire hill up behind my house (3 other properties, yeesh!), I suspect it's going to be getting very wet in there this winter....and need to figure out the best way to raise the floor level so that all that water goes AROUND the coop instead of THROUGH the coop. Trenching can only do so much....!

I'm thinking that shoveling it all the way down to the native clay-heavy soil, edging the floor with 1x12 boards and filling to six inches or so with sand might be my best bet, as long as I can keep the main water diverted around the sides...

Question on using dry sand on one's poop board....if you get the angle right, will the sand-coated poops roll off into a catch area?

I just moved my girls into a new coop, and with the new coop came a change from pine shavings to sand. Needless to say they acted like it was molten lava! They refused to come down off their roosts, and even "flew" from the roosts on one side to the other as to avoid the sand. They won't touch the feeder and waterer inside the coop now. My concern is that they'll be super hungry and thirsty until the pop door opens so they can go outside to get their water and food....any thoughts? Will the silly birds get it soon? I will need to bring in the waterer from the run soon so it won't freeze and the only one they'll have will be inside the coop, hanging above the dreaded sand!

Hi! I just switched to sand, and was doing research on easy ways to pic up the chicken's poop. I found this from Dover Saddlery. I think would work well. Whaddya think? They also have one Called Wonder Fork, but that one is plastic.

2757_27346.jpg

Junior Fine Tines™ Fork

The Junior Fine Tines™ Pitch Fork has an angled basket with 22 closely spaced tines to get even the small stuff, cutting your picking time. This is a durable pitch fork that resists breaking and is a great addition to your mucking routine.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have seen those but I think the tines are too far a part and you will leave too much poop behind. I use a reptile scoop and some kitty litter scoops. Some stuff still falls through.

I have read almost every other page of this totally worthwhile and incredibly helpful thread. Kudos to all you folk who are willing to try new things and share! I'm going to try sand in my coop. Right now it is a floor less loafing shed. I plan get it on even ground on the high point of my slightly sloped property with some cement blocks or pavers. A couple of trenches that will drain down the slope will be good. I'll tack up some landscaping fabric to the floor frame, add gravel then top it off with sand. I think I've covered all the bases...drainage, erosion etc.

X2

Both of those are way too big to sift through sand, I've used both with my horses and even the biggest shavings can go through them.

The only thing you could modify it with some finer mesh wrapped around the tines to make it work for you. Would at least give you the long handle and basket. Even hardware cloth may work
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom