Got sand? You should!

Pics
I am very new to chicken keeping, as in I don't have them yet, I am getting 6 day old
chicks in the spring. I was wondering what urban/suburban people use inside their small
coops. I was planing on pine shavings with DE, but I absolutely MUST keep the smell to
a minimum so I don't get complaints. My coop will be a raised 4x6. I will try letting the chickens
have free run of my 4' fenced in back yard, but if I have to build a run I will use sand to help
with drainage cause it rains alot where I am. I just don't know what to use inside the coop itself,
I think sand may be to heavy for the raised floor. I seem to be more confused after reading this topic.

Quote:
I have a raised coop with a 5x12 covered run and also in a urban setting. I use sand in the run itself and like it for the easy cleanup. As for the coop itself I use pine shavings as I like the smell and it seems nicer than the sand. I would rather run sand in the coop as it cleans up alot easier than the shavings do. In the end I just scoop and sift the sand and just replace the shavings every few weeks.

I think I may try sand in one side of the coop and see how it works. What type of sand do you use? Is it the bag stuff sold as "play sand"? How much will I need and will this stuff promote cooties?

Quote:
Welcome! It honestly depends on how sturdy you build your coop. I have an 8X10 raised coop. I built it to code, with joists underneath, thick plywood and framed walls, and I was assured by my lumber guys I'd have no problem with the weight of the sand.
Good luck -

Quote:
I just used construction sand but have since read that there is a lot less dust if you use washed sand. Have no idea where to purchase it but I also use a lot of DE mixed in. It helps prevent mites and it really keeps everything dry and odor free.

Quote:
I just used construction sand but have since read that there is a lot less dust if you use washed sand. Have no idea where to purchase it but I also use a lot of DE mixed in. It helps prevent mites and it really keeps everything dry and odor free.

My building supply place has both washed and unwashed sand for sale. Just be prepared that the washed sand will need to dry out before it's installed.

Get a pump garden sprayer, put water in it and keep it in the hen house. It doesn't take much to knock the dust down and you can still scoop through the sand for cleanup. I've used the garden hose on a fine mist several times and I can still easily do cleanup afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom