Got the snake

dianehodges

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 10, 2010
3 days ago I found a very large snake under the chicken feeder It was dark I was startled and by the time I figured it out the snake was gone Yesterday afternoon I went to collect eggs and stepped in the pen, he was crawling up the wall I got a hoe and chopped him He fell to the ground tried to get out but before he could I had hit him again I pulled him from the pen with a rake thinking Red my lab would handle the rest Red went the other way One more hit and it was over Just before the second incident I had done snake proofing in the pen with deer netting and chicken wire but did not do the area where he came in Now that is covered and maybe the end of the snakes Next rat proofing Really did not want to kill that snake but he was eating my eggs
hit.gif

1 veteran 1 chicken lab 1 roo 8 hens 1 very old cat

Several have said they would eat chicks and I also read they can smother a hen I guess the scariest thing of all was to see him crawl up that wall and how fast he was

Yeah, I've had them eat eggs and chicks, but haven't lost a grown chicken to them yet. It takes a really big snake to go after a full grown large fowl hen but that's just a function of the size of the snake and the size of the chicken.

The creepiest was when I saw a black snake eating the eggs out from under a broody hen. She just sat there.

I have seen a hen catch a 6" snake to eat herself. The flock would chase the one with the snake to try to get their piece. They literally pecked it to bits.

I don't like to kill snakes but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Hey... almost the same story as mine but with a rattle snake - I'm in Cal. My hoe bounced pretty good but it had to be done. He was curled up in one of the nests ready for me. I didn't know they could wiggle straight up a wall. I hate to do this stuff too but the chickens were just heading in to sleep for the night.

Back
Top Bottom